5 Day Pouch Test

Theduffman27
on 6/1/16 5:12 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I am a 19 month Post op sleever. I recently gained a significant amount of weight over a 2 week vacation where I was totally off program. I did not follow a thing that got me where I am today. At first I panicked and then I decided to try the 5 day pouch test. It worked. It cured me from wanting and feeding the carb monster that I had created again. I am just posting this for anyone that goes off program or needs help re-setting their mind and body. It really works. I am now back where I need to be and could not be happier. Duff

P goode
on 6/1/16 6:27 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 05/11/16

Can you elaborate a bit?

thanks,

p

Done! Your Ticker:

"Long ago in a galaxy far away"- WT-325. Lap band WT-287. Sleeve WT- 220, SW- 215, CW-144

Theduffman27
on 6/1/16 6:41 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Days 1 & 2: Liquid Protein
low-carb protein shakes, broth, clear or cream soups, sugar-free gelatin and pudding. Read more.

Day 3: Soft Protein
canned fish (tuna or salmon) eggs, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy. Read more.

Day 4: Firm Protein
ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, lamb), shellfish, scallops, lobster, fresh salmon or halibut. Read more.

Day 5: Solid Protein
white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, lamb, wild game
Read more.

Google 5 day pouch test. Really helped to train my mind and get me back to normal.

Sandra R.
on 6/2/16 3:40 pm

I actually just made a post about this when I should have scrolled down and read your post. lol. Oh well. Anyway I wanted to know did you lose a lot of weight when you did the reset? Also how did you find it hard to do the reset? I am almost 6 years post op and have gained a bit in the past 6 month. 

Thank you, 

Sandra

Theduffman27
on 6/3/16 5:07 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I lost 6 lbs in 5 days. I think can be attributed to how far I had fallen. I have lost 9 pounds total since I did the 5DPT. I used this to re-set my mind and to end the carb cravings I was having. I tried to do it on my own while eating a regular diet and could not kick the cravings. The 5DPT easily eliminated my desire for Carbs. Not everyones choice, but it worked for me so I think it is worth sharing. Good luck Sandra.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/1/16 10:51 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The problem with the "pouch test" is that it's a fad diet like all of the ones that failed many of us before surgery.

If going back to basics and kicking carbs helped you, that's great! But you can do the same thing by going "back to basics" without doing liquids only. Track your food, protein first, no carbs.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Theduffman27
on 6/1/16 11:28 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I do not consider it a fad diet whatsoever. My program specified a 10 day pre-op liquid diet and I was amazed at how good I felt after a couple of days and coming off the sugar withdrawals. Very similar and I knew this 5DPT would work for me as I have always been a carboholic.

The best solution would be to never put myself in this predicament again and that is the plan.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/1/16 12:29 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Part of the reason its considered a fad diet is the reliance of going back to it over and over anytime you get sidetracked. Its great that it worked for you but you will get sidetracked in the future, what happens then?, another test? It can be very tricky avoiding the yo yo dieting. Be careful.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Theduffman27
on 6/2/16 10:22 am
VSG on 11/19/14

That is the plan, to not get sidetracked. If I do, I know this will work for me. I tried cutting carbs, did not work for me. I had to go all in and do the 5DPT. It was my first time in 19 months of being so off program. It wont happen again.

Starry Eyed
on 6/1/16 2:46 pm, edited 6/1/16 7:48 am
VSG on 04/20/16

I agree with you, Duffman.  I don't think it's a fad diet and here is the reason:

1.  You aren't doing a 5 day diet expecting to lose a ridiculous amount of weight, as so many fad diets advertise.  Fad diets are such because they promise fast weight loss through an unhealthy and unbalanced way.  It sounds like you saw that you were off track and consuming more carbs which led to weight gain, and in acknowledging this, you found a way to get back on your plan.  

2.  I am a fellow patient of Dr. Hill, and one thing my nut stressed is that if you get off track or if something isn't going right, try backing up to the previous food stage as this will help you to refocus.

I think the idea of this 5 day plan is to retrain yourself to eat what you're supposed to eat.  It's only a "fad diet" if you don't stick with it (aka "I'm not on a diet, this is the way I eat.").  The most important this is that you are doing what works for you, and if progressing through those food stages helps you to stay on track, power to you!!  

High Weight: 307 Start Weight: 297 (11/5/15) Surgery Weight: 278 (4/20/16) Pre-Op: (-19) M1: (-24) M2: (-8) M3: (-10) M4: (-9) M5: (-7) M6: (-6) M7: (-7) M8: (-5) M9: (-4) M10: (-3) M11: (-5) CW: 185

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

Most Active
Recent Topics