Weight gain after 2.5 years

Gucci.layne
on 5/31/16 9:48 am
VSG on 07/01/13

I am not here to be preached at, I try very had to eat right, I will admit I have a hard time with exercise. I do also have major issues with water intake! I try, it's hard! As far as eating I am avid about my protein intake, I have had a few times I eat bread or crackers however I can eat a lot or I'll throw up still (thank god) I am not able to "overeat" but I tend to graze!!! Never bad foods but I assume it's still not good to graze even if it's good food! I lost 100 lbs and just stopped (I was good with the weight loss because I lost ALOT of pant sizes, which was way more important to me) I went from a women's 24 pants to an 11, I'm five ft eight so that was great for me! However I NEVER got under 200 lbs!! The lowest I got was about 209, I'm now at about 220-222  lbs, BUT my pants-- size 14 headed to a 16 quick and I'm  in severe PANIC now! I am worried about my stomach stretching or something, because I can eat a small amount and then stop but 1-3 hours later eat again, I did not have any hunger issues at all until the last 6 months and I just want to eat eat eat! It's usually my protein bar that I eat but sometimes peanut butter crackers (bad I assume) and I tend to eat every 2 hours. I have went through a bad divorce, he is supposed to pay child support but has not paid a dime this entire year of the divorce, I'm having issues finding a job and I feel depressed... Can't afford to go to  psychiatrist because my insurance don't cover it all. Can't afford to join a gym, I feel stuck but I'm scared and need advice please!! What is this test that I see people talking about to test your pouch? I'm so scared. Also my issue with exercises a all this extra "baggage" it's like I have a front butt... I get tired very fast, I feel I need a 360 body lift but well that's like thousands and insurance don't cover that either... Sorry for the overflow of info but please help! 

Age 38, female, 5 ft 8 in tall 

220 lbs +/-

cappy11448
on 5/31/16 1:24 pm

I'm so sorry that you are struggling.  It sounds like you've had a rough year with the divorce and having trouble finding work, and insurance issues.  This weight loss is tough under the best of cir****tances, so be gentle with yourself now. 

I don't think you need a pouch test.  If you cannot eat much at one time, then your stomach has plenty of restriction.  I have a few suggestions to help you get back on track.

1. first, Grazing will defeat you, every time.  You need to stop grazing.  I imagine you are using food for comfort, as I do when I'm stressed, but it will do you in every time.  Its so easy to overeat when you graze.  Try to find other ways to self-comfort - I knit or crochet while watching tv, finding it calming and keeping my hands busy.
  2. Second,  I find that eating carbs causes food cravings for me.  Try a low carb diet for a few days and see if the hunger/cravings diminish.  It may be easier to stick to the plan if you cut the carbs.
  3. Plan some healthy, interesting meals.  I have to have good, interesting foods to help me resist the pizza and chocolate cake and lasagna, etc. that tempt me.  If I have good foods like chicken in spicy peanut sauce, or crack slaw, or chicken Florentine, etc., it really helps me stay on track.

Best of luck with your weight loss journey.  You can do this.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/31/16 1:32 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The "pouch test" is nothing more than a fad diet, like all of those that failed us before surgery. Sleeves do relax a bit and we can eat more after several years when compared to soon post-op, that doesn't mean you've stretched your stomach. If in doubt, though, talk to your surgeon.

Ditch the carbs COMPLETELY. If you're looking to lose weight, most folks aim for under 25g carbs. Carbs can also cause hunger, so you're best to go cold turkey.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

petra65
on 6/1/16 4:37 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

I haven't had my surgery yet but it also sounds like you haven't been keeping a food journal?  I have always found this to be one of the most important tools on the weight loss journey.  There are several good ones that are available for free on the internet and are compatible with cell phones.  If I keep a journal, I can always look back and see what I was doing when I was successful and what I was doing when I seemed to get off track.  Also, just writing down everything you put in your mouth can be an eye opener.  

Gucci.layne
on 6/1/16 5:23 am
VSG on 07/01/13

I have kept a journal since before surgery.. I also keep up with my exercise and write down time spent exercise. The God I eat hasn't changed, I can't eat much at a time without throwing up, which to me is a good thing. The only change is how I eat, I tend to actually feel hungry (I had absolutely NO hunger pains for the first year and a half) I lost 100 lbs in less than 10 months right there in the beginning and then it stopped but I never gained any bac****il this last 4 months maybe.. Now back in November I did have to have just my  Fallopian tubes removed due to a birth control insert not working. I have not had a "time of the month" since then! I have spoke to my Dr and he has been very caring, he and I even talk live on FaceTime, and if anyone is looking--- Dr. Alverez is the one to use!!! He has been very kind and helpful but I still think there's something more to this... Thank you ALL for your words! 

Laura in Texas
on 6/1/16 8:15 am

On average, how many calories a day are you consuming? Do you count every bite when you graze? Cut back 500 calories a day and you will start losing again. Make a plan and stick to it. Good luck!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Gucci.layne
on 6/1/16 10:39 am
VSG on 07/01/13

May I ask if you had any type of body surgery after weight loss?? I see your before photo and it reminds me of my before photo but your after is amazing, I am curious how people loose the excess. Maybe my body is different but I notice that most loose all the excess as well, I was told that the only way I'm ever getting rid of my "front butt" is surgery. Tummy tuck or 360 with lipo... Thank you.

Also I consume between 800-900 calories a day 

White Dove
on 6/1/16 6:49 am - Warren, OH

People tend to lose 100 pounds with weight loss surgery.  Anything over 100 pounds requires a greater effort in diet and exercise.  That is because the body that is 100 pounds lighter requires 1000 calories less per day to maintain.

During year three most people are eating more and go through what is called Bounceback regain.  That is normally about 20 pounds that seems to happen with no change in diet and exercise.

When you were 300 pounds, you needed 3000 calories a day just to not lose weight.  At 209 pounds you needed 2090 calories a day.  Even though you eat protein and stay low carb, you have to take in less than 2000 calories for you to weigh any less. 

If you want to lose more weight then you need to learn to count and track your calories.  If you set a goal of 1500 calories, you will lose about a pound a week.  In a year you will be about 50 pounds lighter.  You will have to stay at the 1500 calories to stay at 150 pounds.

It is not a matter of good or bad, it is simply the way the body works.  You will feel fuller and more satisfied if you get those 1500 calories from mostly lean protein.  But you could get them from brownies with ice cream and you will still lose weight as long as you take in no more than the required calories.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/1/16 7:12 am

Grazing and crackers will both cause weight gain. My suggestions:

Stop grazing

Weigh and measure your food and eat at set times every day

Protein first, then vegetables if you have room

Replace the protein bar with real food

Cut out all simple carbs: crackers, bread, potatoes, etc.

Log your food--every morsel

Do not freestyle-plan your meals and stick to the plan

As to exercise, I've lost and kept off 150+ pounds without formal exercise. I walk and garden and do other things, and I used to take a dance class or water aerobics once in awhile, but my diet is responsible for my loss. Since money is tight, walk outside if you want exercise.

You might also try Overeaters Anonymous. Lot of people here have been greatly helped by it.

One last thing: we can all understand being scared. No one is here to 'preach at' you. Everyone wants you to succeed, even if you don't like the way they relay the message. 

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

iammommy
on 6/1/16 8:06 am

First, we're all in the same boat.  I have experienced many of the same issues that you have described.  I went from 236 down to 134 at my lowest.  I never reached my goal of 130, though, and somewhere around the 2 year mark, my restriction really lessened.  I also fell into some bad habits (mainly, the grazing!). I stopped running as much.  And I started seeing the scale climb back up, which was terrifying.  At 145, I decided enough was enough.  Here's what I did to get back on track:

1. turned back to these boards and plugged back in.  reread old posts of people who struggled with regain.  refreshed myself with the enthusiasm and hope of the "newbies". Re-centered by reading post from the veterans.  the key with all of this is that you make it a priority again.  
  2. I joined a weight loss group with a weekly weigh in, because accountability is so important for me
  3. I got moving again.
  4. I started logging my food again and concentrated on dense proteins and lots of veggies and some fruits.

I am 9 weeks into this and I am back down to 139.  I intend to reach my goal weight of 130 this time.  

You can do this.  Do not let fear paralyze you; instead, use it to motivate you to do something about your situation.  The truth is, it is very easy to regain.  The truth is, we were not "fixed" with surgery, and we will never be normal, no matter what the scale says.  The truth is the only person who can keep you from succeeding is YOU- get yourself in the right mindset, surround yourself with like-minded people (us!), and get to work.

You can do this.

Laura 

Most Active
Recent Topics