Drinking Alcohol??

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/16 6:40 am

I have a lot of experience with alcohol. It was my best friend. Before and after surgery. I am now in AA ten weeks sober. It has caused a lot of pain in my life.

You were given the gift of weight loss surgery. Embrace it and take care of yourself. Being healthy is a amazing feeling. 

psren13
on 5/30/16 6:53 am - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

Let me tell you my story with alcohol.. I have never been a drinker per se.  I do like occasional wine and of course the good ol Fireball and Bahama Mamas, etc.  I have not had any alcohol nor carbonated beverage since my WLS March 14, 2015.  Last fall I was in California visiting my daughter.  My last weekend there, while at her house, she brought out a bottle of champagne.  By the second sip, I was in the bathroom throwing up and dry heaving.  OK.. So my stomach doesn't like champagne.  Hmm.  Then comes Christmas at my brothers house.  Sister brought a bottle of my favorite wine.  Yep.. Second sip, into the bathroom I went.  Ok.. No wine.  This past April, again in Cali visiting daughter.  We went to Vegas for the weekend.  She got her "dirty Martini"  whch is Vodka and olive juice.  I have never had a martini, said I wanted to try it.  Daughter reminded me of past two epsodes.  Well no carbonation in this martini, right.  Only took one sip and I headed to the bathroom dry heaving.  So guess who is a 100% non drinker now, no more testing.. 

My point is, you are different from all of us.  No one can tell you if you wll be able to drink or not.  I know it is "traditional" and something a lot of young people look forward to on their 21st birthday.  But it won't be the end of the earth if you don't hit that tradition.  Make a new one.  You are in the process of making a new you.  You didn't have your WLS to be able to drink, right?  Celebrate and have an enjoyable time.  This s just the beginning of your long life ahead of being healthy, of being able to buy wonderful stylish clothes, of being able to walk and not get winded, moving your car seat up to the steering wheel and not touch, no more extenders in the airplane, medical issues resolved or much better/easier to deal with, crossing your legs.   Life is beautiful..  Enjoy it.  Don't fret if you won't be able to drink on your birthday.  There is soooo much more out there.  

Good luck.. and an early Happy Birthday to you.  

Pam

cappy11448
on 5/30/16 9:00 am

I had my first alcohol post-op at 5months post op.  I had a half glass of wine, and I had no problem with it.  I'd suggest moderation because it will go directly to your head, but other than that, I think you'll be ok.  You might want to try a little in private before drinking in public, just to be sure.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/30/16 9:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The problem with "moderation" is that a lot of us had trouble with it pre-op-- so much so that we ended up obese.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/30/16 5:06 pm

Yes. Moderation to me meant only two cupcakes.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Eggface
on 5/30/16 10:06 am - Sunny Southern, CA
chevtow41
on 5/30/16 8:18 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Get drunk off your ass. Why not? It shows great decision making.

Seriously you're gonna be bummed if you can't get wasted? I see problems in your future with that mindset

TerriLMac
on 5/30/16 9:25 pm

I'm about 7 1/2 months post-op and I've dropped 100 pounds and have hit my goal.  In the last month or two, I've had a drink one or two times a week.  Usually a glass of wine, but sometimes a White Russian made with fat-free half and half.  I haven't had any problems introducing alcohol back into my lifestyle, but I never drive after I've had a drink because it does affect you more quickly.  I didn't have any problems with alcohol before my VSG, and so far, haven't had any after as well.  I haven't tested it, but I really don't think I would feel well at all having more than a glass or two of wine.  I wouldn't jeopardize all the hard work you've done, but I also wouldn't rule out toasting your 21st birthday with a drink.  Moderation is key for most things in life.  And by the way, happy birthday!

Terri

Theduffman27
on 5/31/16 7:18 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Congrats on your upcoming 21st Birthday. I am only going to tell you what I did during my journey. I followed my program to the "T" for the first year. My program did not want me to drink Alcohol, so I did not. I am now 19 Months Post op and I have been known to have a drink here or there and have fallen off program more than once. It is easier to do so as you move further long as a post op. I would recommend taking full advantage of your Honey moon period.

ashleydawn11
on 5/31/16 4:20 pm
VSG on 01/28/16

I have tried drinking three times since surgery.  I get a buzz quicker, but it also goes away pretty quickly.  Drinking isn't fun like it used to be.  I let go of "getting drunk."  Doesn't seem like it's in the cards for me any time soon.

Most Active
Recent Topics