Restaurants

seabexlose
on 5/24/16 10:35 am
VSG on 04/12/16 with

We have actually been eating out a lot (we've had a ton of company at our house), and its not been too hard to find something I can eat, especially easier now that I'm cleared for all foods and not just restricted to soft foods.

Recent things I've ordered:

Carne Asada with guacamole, asked them not to bring the beans and rice to the table.

Salmon Nicoise Salad - ate the salmon and left almost all the salad

Ceviche

Grilled Shrimp with tomato/avocado salad

Burger with no bun

Enjoy!

Courage2Enjoy
on 5/24/16 10:56 am
VSG on 04/28/16

Ooo, good options for Mexican restaurants Seabexlose!  Thanks for everyone's thoughts...it really does help!

Dee R.
on 5/24/16 11:23 am - CA

My favorite is Lucille's BBQ.  For $25 I get a TON of meats that will last me an entire week!!

Neesie57
on 5/24/16 3:48 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

We eat out all the time, and I have never been to one that has nothing for me to eat.  Just read the menu carefully, and choose high protein, low fat and low carb.  You can even ask for something that isn't listed, like cooking your meat without added oil, or substitute low carb veggies for potatoes or bread.  I've never had a restaurant refuse to add or subtract to something on the menu.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Kelly L.
on 5/24/16 4:31 pm

It is difficult at first, but you get used to it after a while.   BBQ places have meats like smoked chicken.   We have a place here, that I get a 6 oz prime rib and small salad.  Of course I have leftovers, I still can only eat about 3 oz this far out.   You'll get the hang of it!

psychoticparrot
on 5/24/16 4:36 pm

Just got back from Longhorn Steakhouse. Ate a small salad w/1 tsp. honey-mustard dressing (ordered on the side), one-half of the tilapia filet, 3 forkfuls of rice, and 8 asparagus spears (sans the lemon sauce). Took the rest home (left most of the rice on the plate) for my lunch tomorrow. Total of about 200 calories and 19g protein. So restaurants and the sleeve are doable.

Tips for restaurant eating:

1. Make liberal use of take-home boxes. Ask for the box before the food comes. Before you start eating, portion out what you should eat and shovel the rest into the box. This prevents giving in to the temptation of eating a few bites too many.
  2. Eat an appetizer instead of an entree, although it's sometimes difficult to find healthy, high-protein appetizers.
  3. Balance the cost of a buffet by taking along a hearty eater. Then you won't feel so guilty about the expense.
  4. Order black coffee/tea instead of dessert. Even though you shouldn't drink after meals, you can take occasional tiny sips while others are eating the rich goo. It gives you something to do instead of eating and prevents the others' social discomfort of seeing you just sitting there while they're stuffing themselves.
  5. If there are simply no healthy foods to be had, eat a small portion of whatever you think is the least evil food, and then resolve not to go to that restaurant again.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Courage2Enjoy
on 5/29/16 3:05 pm
VSG on 04/28/16

Great tips!!!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/24/16 5:32 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Buffets are actually a great choice, as long as you watch your portion control.  

There are plenty of protein choices available. Stay away from the carbs.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Luvmygs
on 5/25/16 8:57 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I totally agree with Frisco. I can eat anywhere, but I make sure to choose healthy choices. This is our new life style for the rest of our lives!

Gwen M.
on 5/27/16 1:00 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Over time, I have found that eating out is never a problem.  I can always find something I can eat - just some places have things that I like better than others.  

Mainly, these days, I tend to avoid Italian and Mexican.  I can find stuff I can eat at both, if I don't have a choice, but I prefer dishes at those places that are way too carby for my lifestyle now, so I prefer to just avoid them all together so I don't end up feeling sad about not getting to eat what I used to eat.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics