Post op staple pain?

PCOSYoYo
on 5/21/16 7:26 pm
VSG on 05/13/16

So I'm finaly out of my first week but i frequently have very severe pain (8-9) that feels like hot needles are poking and scraping in a scab. A lot like ripping a scab would feel honestly. I actually thought it was my wound sites  but finally thought to raise my shirt when they happened  to see where they are.

It is one section, above the main inscision site,  and the inside of the outer left site. It is literally excrutiating --and i had babies naturally while taring to kingdom come. It's worse in the morning when I get up.

It is currently the only pain I now have. I've googled and it seems that some say the abdominals are stapled and it can be the staples causing the pain. When in think about the pain, that is sort of what I'd expect staples frequently dragging along my tissues would feel like.

I see my doctor wednesday and I'll be bringing it up. I'm sort of terrified I'll be stuck with this effect forever.  Some posts i saw said the pain took a few months to go away, others still had it 3 years out. It's pretty debilitating and makes  twisting bending and squatting impossible without screaming.
I used to be quite physically fit and wondered if maybe my stronger 'abs' were causing the issue  ,but I doubt  it. Haha.

Anyone else have this hot, very sharp, almost taring/ shredding pain?

I keep picturing a bunch of threads being pulled as tight as possible until the tension makes them snap, that's what it feels like, but definitely  like being stabbed and scraped with hundreds of hot needles . Again wounds are fine. I can touch them  with no issues. The pain is above the main inscision,  left side on uncut skin. If I touch the skin, even as much as my shirt touching it , it hurts like heck.

Hoping it is swelling and will fade in the next week :)

Anyone?

-Natalie VSG 5/13/16. 5'6" -- HW 283 . SW 266

Post vsg: M1 -32 , M2 -14 , M3-19

rocky513
on 5/21/16 8:01 pm - WI

I had similar pain.  It felt like tissue ripping on the inside.  My surgeon said it was likely raw nerve endings mending.  I had an open RNY with LOTS of adhesions removed, so there was a lot of nerve damage from the surgery.  It gradually got better and went away completely in about 3  months.

If you have questions you should call your surgeon.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

PCOSYoYo
on 5/21/16 8:33 pm
VSG on 05/13/16

Thanks so much. It does feel like misfiring nerves/ electrical currents at times  and  my husband and I thought about that possibility.  I have nerve issues in most  parts of my body so it wouldn't surprise me . (when i was inutero, nerves went the wrong places - anesthesiologists and dentists hate me) hah. 

I was definitly going to bring it up when I see the doctor.  I didn't feel it warranted an early call . I'll deal unti then.

Hopefully it is something  thst simple and  it will fade quickly.

Thanks so much for sharing 

Neesie57
on 5/22/16 1:08 am
VSG on 08/04/15

After my surgery, I had horrible stabbing pain near the main incision on the left side.  I literally felt like I was being stabbed when getting up, walking or while trying to sit down.  A couple of times I even screamed and scared my poor husband.  I was gone by the third week, but that second week was excruciating.  My doctor said it was the incision that the stomach was pulled through, so it was the biggest and worst one.

You'll be fine soon, but if not, talk to your surgeon.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Wanda1118
on 5/22/16 3:04 am
VSG on 07/09/14

I had what I thought was a severe burning..It started after the hospital had me put on a band and while napping it rolled up..took a few weeks to go away but it's fine now.

Lifesabeachwithvsg
on 5/22/16 5:14 am

I had the very same pain. I couldn't lay down, sit up, walk, bend, twist, etc without the pain. It was so excruciating that I was regularly in tears and I often screamed out loud. But one day, around week 3, I woke up and it was gone. 

PCOSYoYo
on 5/22/16 6:08 am
VSG on 05/13/16

Thanks for all of your experiences folks. I've been massaging the area verrrrry gently, just to desensitize the skin from touch . I'll ask the dr and hope I get a magic moment soon.  The only reason i got concerned initially was because everyone had said the pain from surgery was nothing.  Im not afraid of pain  but this was not something I welcomed life long hah.

Thanks for sharing!

Darcy G.
on 5/22/16 3:04 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Everyone has a different experience with surgery. Mine was painful even before I'd enveloped the C.diff, and I've got a big capacity to handle pain.

(Though the C.diff was far worse, painwise, than the surgery.)

Hope it clears up soon.

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Most Active
Recent Topics