Keeping Meds Down

VeryJosie
on 5/21/16 10:51 am
VSG on 05/18/16

hello!

i had vsg surgery on Wednesday, 5/18/16 (3 days ago). My doctor sent me home w 5 prescriptions; pain, anti nauseous, one for gird/acid reflux and one for gut spasms, and colace. All are small pills that I have to swallow except the gut spasm one is sub-lingual.

i vomited up the pills I took this morning, which was very painful and scary.

questions: should I have attempted to re-take or just wait for next dose and try again?

is there anything I can do to keep them down?

also even tiny sips of water hurt my insides. Does this go away? Any ideas for a water replacement?

thank you for your help!

Donna L.
on 5/21/16 11:13 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I'd actually call the surgeon.  I was able to take pills one at a time, very slowly, with small sips the week after surgery.  The first week or two I crushed them.  I actually didn't start the PPI until after my first post-op appointment.  

I would definitely call the doctor's office to ask for advice about your medication.  He can also prescribe liquid pain medication if you cannot get the pills down, BTW.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

VeryJosie
on 5/21/16 11:15 am
VSG on 05/18/16

Ty Donna!

White Dove
on 5/21/16 11:24 am - Warren, OH

Sometimes it is easier to get them down in a little sugarfree pudding or applesauce instead of water.  I agree with calling the surgeon.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

KarolElin
on 5/21/16 11:32 am

The pain with sipping water lasted about 4-5 days for me. I was only able to take in about 2 oz an hour at first, but gradually increased, over that first wee****il I was able to do 6-8. It should get better, just keep sipping. You should not take pills during that first week on clear liquids IMHO. Get a prescription for liquids or make sure you crush those pills. The liquid colace is nasty stuff. I could not keep that down either, I just waited until I was cleared for full liquids then I took a few oz of prune juice a day, but follow your surgeon's plan. Water, water, water (sorry, there is no replacement at this stage) to keep from getting constipated. For pain I took children's liquid tylenol, OTC, following directions on pkg. Hope you feel better soon. I am 12 days out myself, it gets better, hang in there.

VeryJosie
on 5/21/16 12:19 pm
VSG on 05/18/16

Ty so much for the great ideas. Sending my hubby out for applesauce and liquid Tylenol right now.

my dtr cleared me for full liquids and a host of small pills yesterday but I will take your advice and crush them, once I confirm they are crushable. Thanks again!

Renren
on 5/21/16 12:39 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

I had a hard time in the beginning swallowing plain water so I added milo or crystal light (they come in little squeeze bottles, so you can make it as weak or as strong as you like) There is also an Orange Crush one that I really like.  

I didn't have trouble with taking the pills except for the anti nausea one that had to dissolve under the tongue, it wouldn't dissolve ,so I couldn't use it. It made me gag.  I found out too late there was a suppository I could have used

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

VeryJosie
on 5/21/16 1:23 pm
VSG on 05/18/16

I called the dtr, and spoke with the resident on call. She's prescribing a su-lingual replacement for the anti nausea script and said my pharmacy was out of liquid hydrocodone.

She also verified which pills I could crush so it was worth a weekend call.

PCOSYoYo
on 5/21/16 4:10 pm
VSG on 05/13/16

my surgery was 5/13

i had the urge to vomit anytime i took pills. i could actually feel them getting stuck at the opening of my stomach.  when i would get them down id immediately start drooling in prop to throw up. my only defense when that happens  is to constantly spit until the saliva goes away and it passes.  i asked the surgeon and was told some people are like that.  ive woken up in my sleep a few times with my trusty bucket beside me ready to spit out the saliva rather than throw up all over my husband. lol. 

it didnt go away for about 5 days.  im on day 8 after vsg now. 

i was able to get my nausea pills down with only them getting stuck maybe 1 of 4 times. i took those first.  then waited a few minutes and tried the rest.  my pain  pills are very large and so are my stool softeners.  ive had larger ( metformin etc)  but these are also a *****alky and encourage them getting stuck.  im not a great pill taker to begin with so i always take a tiny sip to wet my mouth, put the pill in the middle of my tongue, then another sip and literally fling my head back like im taking a shot ( its kind of ridiculous- my kids make fun of me)  but it seems to be how i can get my pills down. if i felt it stuck id drink a bit more each time.  until i t went down.  general throat pain went away after day 3, making it easier. 

i also had issues drinking anything, and got re admitted on day 5 for severe dehydration.  the night i got home from the hydration, things seemed a LOT better.  i was able to finish a half bottle of water in just   an hour ( which was awesome for me)  and the next  day my water and protein intake was much better.  still not what they wanted, but better. 

oh one thing that did help with pills and drinking in general.  no straw.  our staff encouraged a straw and gave  a measured cup with straw.  it made me so sick.  i noticed when i stopped using it, i was better.  i may re introduce it because my children love finding my open waters and  sampling them....  but right now im drinking everything from an open spout.

good luck! i may have to ask for the  gut spasm pills...  my abdomen where staples are feels like it is constantly being scratched with h hot needles...  everything else feels perfect other wise.  im about to post about that myself :)

-Natalie VSG 5/13/16. 5'6" -- HW 283 . SW 266

Post vsg: M1 -32 , M2 -14 , M3-19

Most Active
Recent Topics