One Year Post VSG Update

ocean4dlm
on 5/19/16 11:57 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Even though my official surgiversary is 05/27/16, I had my one year anniversary check in with the surgeon yesterday, as I'll be visiting my daughter in California for the long Memorial weekend.  I have lost 143 pounds and have been maintaining since January.

I can't begin to express how thrilled I am with my new life and everything positive this decision has meant.  I was focused and compliant during my weight loss phase. I weighed and measured everything and ate protein forward.  I'd have a few bites of veggies, but I can honestly say I never had fruit, nuts, oatmeal, bread etc. while actively losing. That's what worked for me.  I faithfully drank my water, at the correct times, took my vitamins, and kicked up the physical activity. 

When I began, I could barely walk, as I was facing a total knee replacement. I started doing water aerobics and using walking sticks. Now, I swim a mile 2-3x a week, and walk 3 miles 2-3 times a week. I have no knee pain, and have been able to put my knee replacement on the back burner. 

I have to be honest.  Losing the weight is the easy part.  After 55 years of obesity, learning how to live a healthy, balanced life in a healthy weight range is HARD WORK. I've NEVER been thin.  I've NEVER successfully maintained at a healthy weight, losing and regaining 100+ pounds three times prior to VSG.

My sleeve is only a tool, and only as effective as I let it be.  Eating protein forward enables my pyloric valve to work with my sleeve to vastly limit my capacity.  Could I find 100's of creative ways to eat around my sleeve ?  Absolutely !!!  If I'm heavy on the sugar and simple carbs, do the cravings and head hunger return ?  Absolutely !!

My best advice is this:

1.  Get as much out of your pre-surgery time as you can. Learn and practice new habits.  Work to identify and begin to address any emotional issues you may have around food and/or disordered eating.

2.  Get as much as you can out of your honeymoon time.  Continue to learn and practice and address issues.  The more you make of this time, the better off you'll be. Your surgeon's guidelines are there for a reason.  Sure, you can find ways around them, but why would you ?

3.  Get involved in some new recreational, physical and social activities.  Do some of the things you may never have had the opportunity to do as a child.  Get to know your body and what it can do. Appreciate yourself and find lots of things to be grateful for.

4.  Look for ways to define yourself that have nothing to do with your weight or your BMI.

5.   Start to work on a "maintenance plan" 4-6 months before you get there. Getting to your goal weight range (I recommend 4-5 pound range) does not mean you are finished.  It means your life, as you will learn to know it, is just starting. 

6.  Surround yourself with positive, successful like-minded people. Lose the people/things/habits that no longer represent what you want out of life.

If I could do this, trust me, you can do it too !!! 

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/19/16 12:28 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Awesome post, thank you for sharing! And great surgery date, that will be mine this year :)

Love what you said about finding new social, physical things to get involved in. People ask me almost every year if Id like to join the rec kickball league and I always decline... Physically I can go out there and participate. It will kick my ass and I'd be exhausted every time I ran, but theres nothing really limiting me other than the sheer physical requirement and exertion. I cant wait til I can answer YES next year :) I already hit the gym 4-5 days a week for weight training. I'd also love to start running. My best friends mom was my PE teacher growing up, and I always got out of running the mile for the physical test every year. I'd love to show up to her house, tell her to don her running shoes and lets go! 

Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your phenomenal success! Enjoy California!

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/16 12:53 pm

You, my dear friend, are a total rock star! I mean that from the bottom of my heart. You have inspired me and continue to do so. You always strive to be the best that you can be. Your honesty and integrity and willingness to share your insights about your journey are invaluable for all of us here. I'm so happy for all that you have achieved and I know you will continue to have success. How could you not?

frisco
on 5/19/16 1:23 pm

Congrats on a great year !!!!

It's great to read about someone *****ally did the research and did the work!!!

Well done, keep the path !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Spencerella
on 5/19/16 2:29 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Congratulations on your first year!  You're a textbook case for how to do things right, which has set you up for continued success!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

petra65
on 5/19/16 6:05 pm - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

Congratulations on your 1st year and thanks for all the great advice,particularly the part about maintenance.  I have never gotten there previously with dieting but knew that had to be harder than losing.  

cappy11448
on 5/20/16 4:22 am

This is  a wonderful post - so upbeat and hopeful.  I love your advice.  Its right on with my experience. 

Congratulations on your weight loss.  I love your attitude and positive life energy.  You are doing great.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics