Allergic to antibiotics, surgery in Mexico?

Dhawn
on 5/18/16 10:21 pm

Hey there guys. 

I am hoping to have surgery in Mexico here shortly with Dr. Q. However, I am allergic to penicillin and cephalosporins.... So, have any of you had experience with this? Thoughts? 

KansasPrincess
on 5/19/16 5:08 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

had surgery in mexico.. allergic to penicillin's as well. the antibiotic they gave me was just fine.. I can not remember the name of it for the life of me. I will look for it this evening.

HEIGHT 5'6" HW: 422.7 CW: 267.8 SURGERY DATE: 10/15/15 GW:160-170 VSG IN TIJUANA MEXICO WITH DR. JAIME PONCE DE LEON- REVISION TO RNY WITH DR. J. STEPHEN SCOTT, KS. 10/16/18

Sandra F.
on 5/19/16 9:26 am

I had surgery in Mexico with another doc, but I am not allergic to any meds.  I would make sure that everyone understands that you are allergic to these medicines, even using google translate if you have to, so that you remain safe.

Dhawn
on 5/19/16 6:01 pm

That's a great idea. I have already talked to my surgeon. All of his staff (so far) speaks English very well. I should probably brush up on mexico's allergy banding system. 

sliminmexico
on 5/20/16 12:06 pm

Hola Allergic,

I too am allergic to penicillin and other antibiotics. Just be sure to tell them what you're allergic to AND I write it on a piece of tape and tape it to my hospital gown just to be sure. I will be having bariatric surgery in August but have had a knee replacement down here - I've lived in Mexico for almost 20 years now. I have every confidence in the doctors here. Good luck and keep us posted.

Most Active
Recent Topics