Cottonmouth. Blech.

JTMGPW
on 5/16/16 3:23 pm

Let's talk cottonmouth, and no I don't mean the nasty snake, LOL. Though the feeling might as well be as bad as the nasty snake :/. I mean that awful feeling in your mouth where everything feels just horrid and no amount of water will make it go away (no matter how many tiny sips you take!). I'm on day 4 post-op, getting liquids in at about 40oz (though a tad behind for today at this time, planning on making it up this evening and tonight).

Anyone have any advice on how to get rid of it? Why it's happening (i.e. Source/causes)? Maybe anything to help alleviate it?

White Dove
on 5/16/16 3:42 pm - Warren, OH

Dehydration.  You need to force yourself to get more water in.  Sip constantly.  Two ounces every 15 minutes is eight in an hour.  Do that every waking hour and keep the water next to your bed to sip if you wake up.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

JTMGPW
on 5/17/16 10:59 am

I was worried about that. I did get in 50oz yesterday. Started today off with 30oz by noon. It's difficult and a chore to get it in, but I did. Still cottonmouth though. But I noticed it's more pronounced after I have some protein water or ensure. That might be my culprit?

diane S.
on 5/17/16 10:19 am

some medications cause dry mouth, Bit still drink all the water you can get in. Biotine has gell and mouthwash to help alleviate dry feeling.  I like to suck on Riccola sugar free lemon mint lozenges when I am where I can't get a lot of water.  Just don't swallow them -damage sleeve.

I also find iced tea to be more thirst quenching than plain water. . GL    diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

JTMGPW
on 5/17/16 11:00 am

Oh this is good info. I will work on getting some biotin and I've got sugar free candy to suck on to try!

seabexlose
on 5/17/16 11:19 am
VSG on 04/12/16 with

Are you able to have sugar free popsicles?  The cold and the taste might help reset your mouth.

Renren
on 5/17/16 11:28 am
VSG on 12/02/15

Biotine mouth spray worked for me. I also found it more soothing to drink hot (ish) liquids, chicken broth,sugar free cocoa, decaf tea, even just warm water.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Most Active
Recent Topics