People 's commets weight loss

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/17/16 12:04 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

As others have pointed out, there may be a few reasons why they comment.

• They're used to seeing you obese, and by comparison a "normal" weight seems too skinny

• Obesity is common enough that ANYBODY at a healthy weight seems unusual

• Sometimes rapid weight loss is a sign that something is actually wrong and they're worried

• (Very seldom) someone is jealous and tries to get you to stop

Generally, people say it out of genuine concern. So my go-to response was usually along the lines of "Thanks for being worried about me! I'm working with my doctor, everything is just fine."

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

FuturePinUp
on 5/17/16 1:39 pm

Totally agree with all the points. I have had a few people pull me aside and ask me if I was OK because of how thin I was looking. I gladly told them it was intentional and that everything was just fine - just doing the right things!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Donna L.
on 5/21/16 4:50 pm, edited 5/21/16 9:51 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

People have skewed ideas about both thinness and obesity.  The truth is people don't know the difference, a lot of the time, between someone who weighs 110 and someone who weighs 150, for instance, or even someone who is 250 and 350.  If someone is 5'1" and 150+, they are technically overweight, which most people don't realize.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics