People 's commets weight loss

Kris R.
on 5/16/16 8:20 am - Walworth, NY

When I get there and I will get there - I'm going to tell people that I'm under doctor's care and he tells me to keep doing what I'm doing.  So until the doctor says, I'm too thin, then so be it..

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

joanne0658
on 5/16/16 8:39 am

Some comments are rough at times and I'm not a thin-skinned person.  If time and age have taught me anything, at almost 58 years on earth . . I just smile and give them a mental middle finger salute . . . . People gave me a hard time when I ballooned up to 292 and now they have a comment as I reach my personal goal.    

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

New33nie
on 5/16/16 8:17 pm - chester, VA
VSG on 11/09/15

Thanks for the comment.  I like the "mental middle finger"  I will need to use that one. LoL!!!

Shel25
on 5/16/16 8:51 am, edited 5/16/16 1:52 am

How I dealt with people depended on my  relationship with them.

For fellow employees that I didn't even know their name much less have a relationship, I would look as baffled as possible but stay silent.  If they persisted (that day or subsequent days) I would say that I have a medical team and remind them they weren't on it.  (I work in the medical field) 

I told one person something along the lines of "your continued comments about my weight/food choices really makes me uncomfortable.  I know you don't mean to do that and will stop doing it."

For people that I have a closer relationship, I would cheerfully say "thanks for that!"  or perhaps nothing more. Sometimes I add "My doc thinks I am doing great!" For the people closest to me I would thank them for their concern but also reassure them it is unwarranted. 

Keep in mind that not everyone that comments really expects you to explain.  They just opened their mouth and inappropriate comments spilled out.  (That happens to me on occasion so I try not to judge too harshly)

Others know that rapid weight loss can be a sign that something terrible is happening.  I sometimes add "no worries, it is DELIBERATE weight loss and I am under the care of a doctor." 

Congratulations on your success! 

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

SilverGirl2015
on 5/16/16 9:06 am, edited 5/16/16 2:04 am

JUst smile at them. And be proud of your super success. What ever happened to the old addage...If you can't say something nice...

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/16 9:07 am

My favorite was when I was told I looked gaunt. Really? I was still in the over weight range! 

People just aren't used to seeing us at a normal weight. For some it is alarming and many people associate rapid weight loss with illness (cancer) and it frightens them. The mother of one of my students burst into tears when she found out I didn't have cancer. She was certain I was going through cancer treatments and that was why I was losing weight. It didn't matter that I was super active and hadn't missed a day of teaching. To her rapid weight loss meant sick! 

Sometimes I just let the comments go. Sometimes I spoke up. My favorite was when I gave it back to someone I didn't even really know. Basically, I just stared and said I was baffled by the fact that someone I didn't even know felt compelled to comment on my weight. I said, "Odd" shook my head and walked. It was awesome. 

Gwen M.
on 5/16/16 12:39 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

"Thanks!"  Followed by a change of subject.  Consistency is key to getting people to understand that my weight is not a topic for discussion.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Neesie57
on 5/16/16 7:56 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

A friend recently told me that I was getting too skinny.  I told him I didn't want to hear that **** from him anymore.  He said, "I just said that because I'm jealous."  I think some comes from not knowing what to say, and some comes from jealousy, especially if they are overweight themselves.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

New33nie
on 5/16/16 8:20 pm - chester, VA
VSG on 11/09/15

Thanks for sharing.  Congratulations on your very successful weight loss.

diane S.
on 5/17/16 11:44 am

Well its amazing what people say. Some are jealous. Others just knuckleheads. Just tell them you have an expert medical team that thinks you are doing great and that you follow their instructions and are highly nutrition conscious.   Rapid weight loss does produce some pretty drastic changes so you may just look odd to them until they get used to it.

No one said much to my face except hubby but behind my back people were saying I looked frail.  

So if someone tells you that you don't look good , say "thats odd because I feel like a million bucks!"  Congrats on your success and lose just as much weight as you feel like doing.    diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics