Back in the hospital

LosingLola
on 5/13/16 9:05 am

This leak does not want to heal. I am 9.5 weeks out from surgery. The leak was first detected at 3 weeks out and I was hospitalized for a week then.  Before releasing me, they put in a picc line and started TPN which I was on for about a month. My surgeon warned me when starting soft foods that the next 3 weeks would either go great or  really badly. Sadly for me, it was the latter. Starting a couple days ago, I am dry heaving, nauseous, and not able to get in my fluids. So, I am back in the hospital for the weekend and waiting for a feeding tube to be placed nasally. I'll probably have that for the next 2 months and hopefully by then the leak will have healed and I can get on with my journey. This has been a crazy ride so far!

Neesie57
on 5/13/16 9:42 am
VSG on 08/04/15

OMG, I am so sorry! It's so hard when you look forward to the surgery and then have such a major complication.  I hope your road to healing is smooth from here on out and you don't have to spend any more time in the hospital.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Kris R.
on 5/13/16 11:37 am - Walworth, NY

So sorry you're having all this trouble.  Here's hoping you have a speedy recovery and an easier time going forward. 

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

Darcy G.
on 5/13/16 7:07 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Did your surgeon say why he didn't want to go back in and fix it rather than just waiting for it to heal itself? 2 months with a feeding tube sounds so rough... I think I'd rather they get in there with a needle and thread. :(

What a nightmare for you, big, big sympathies. I really hope they can sort it out this time!

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

LosingLola
on 5/13/16 7:54 pm

I guess the inflammation around it would make surgery more risky. He also said they prefer not to re-operate unless as a last resort. Thanks for the well wishes - I really hope this is the home stretch!

Darcy G.
on 5/13/16 8:44 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Inflammation... Didn't think of that. Bah!

Sending good vibes. 

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

oneearth
on 5/15/16 10:26 pm

So sorry to hear this. I can't imagine. Everything went relatively well for me and I still had a hard time. Sounds like you are keeping a good attitude so you have that going for you. Best wishes!

ocean37
on 5/16/16 12:04 pm - Lunenburg, Canada
VSG on 02/26/13

So sorry to hear. My leak went undiagnosed for 5 weeks. It caused an abcess on my spleen. At first my surgeon was just going to treat me with IV antibiotics but I was getting sicker every day. Simply sewing the leak is far more risky. I had a JP drain inserted next to the leak. I was in the hospital for 12 days, home for 4 days and then put back in the hospital for 31 days. I had a J-tube feeding tube that caused complications and had surgery back to back. A week long hospital visit when he pulled back my JP drain .... It caused sepsis infection and had to be replaced with a penrose drain.  After 8 months of the feeding tube it was time to remove it and I had my gallbladder out and he discover 2 holes in my bowel and a hernia .... Another week of hospitalization that was supposed to be a day surgery. The last surgery I had was 1 1/2 years ago for 3 hernia repair with mess .... Another week hospitalization.  I don't mean to scare you but leaks take a while to heal. I hope you don't have to have any more surgeries and the leak heals!  Take care and keep us posted! 

Leaky Sleeve Survivor - 2013/2014

Highest Weight - 370 lbs, Weight at Surgery - 333 lbs, Current Weight - 207lbs

LosingLola
on 5/17/16 7:20 pm

Oh, wow - I am so sorry for what you went through!  I can't even imagine the impact to your quality of life.  I hope all is well with you now!! 

Melanie84
on 5/16/16 1:43 pm, edited 5/16/16 6:43 am
Most Active
Recent Topics