Post op day 1

P goode
on 5/12/16 9:13 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 05/11/16

How many of you had a hard time sipping due to sore stomach day 1? Still in hospital. He said he found a small hernia where my port was. He fixed that and also where he had sewn up my stomach when took out eroded band 4 yrs ago

Done! Your Ticker:

"Long ago in a galaxy far away"- WT-325. Lap band WT-287. Sleeve WT- 220, SW- 215, CW-144

Starry Eyed
on 5/12/16 10:20 am
VSG on 04/20/16

Congrats and welcome to post-surgery!  Just do what you can and remember to take very small sips.  It will get better as you heal and the swelling subsides.  I had quite a bit of pain when I swallowed cold stuff so I drank warm broth for the first week or so and was able to gradually switch over to cold.  Best of luck to you!

High Weight: 307 Start Weight: 297 (11/5/15) Surgery Weight: 278 (4/20/16) Pre-Op: (-19) M1: (-24) M2: (-8) M3: (-10) M4: (-9) M5: (-7) M6: (-6) M7: (-7) M8: (-5) M9: (-4) M10: (-3) M11: (-5) CW: 185

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

Sammy2929
on 5/12/16 3:59 pm
VSG on 05/02/16

Congrats, don't forget to change your surgery type and date when your up to it.

I give you many props.  I wasn't even cognizant to the world for the first day and a 1/2.  I didn't drink till day 2 and I finally had a baby spoon full of jello or I don't think  they would let me go from the hospital. 

I am so stopped up I wrote about trying to have a 8lb. baby out my backside this morning. A lot of talk here about Miralax for constipation so I ran to the drug store and started that.  Hopefully I will report tomorrow that the dam has broke, lol.

Lynn

Lynn D

Age:52, Height 5'4", HW 299, SW 282.6, Current weight as of 02/22/17 159 lbs.

M1 30, M2 25, M3 30,  M4-9 M5 ? M-6,7,8 25lbs, M 9 1/2 ?

P goode
on 5/12/16 7:28 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 05/11/16

Miralax will get it going. Did you not drink cause it hurt to swallow?

I tried to change my surgery but it doesn't show up- let me see what's up with that. I'm siting here hurting pretty bad right now. It has to be the swelling and I think drinking made it worse.

Done! Your Ticker:

"Long ago in a galaxy far away"- WT-325. Lap band WT-287. Sleeve WT- 220, SW- 215, CW-144

ubserved
on 5/13/16 12:06 am

The morning after surgery, the nurse came in with 1 oz size cups like they bring meds to you in with some grape juice and said take it 1 oz at a time. So I took one of the little cups and drank it, and nearly vomited, The nurse then tells me, take about 1/3 of an oz per sip. I was thinking, great, now she tells me. It hit me with so much nausea it was unreal. She hit my iv with something for it and I was fine in like 10-15 seconds. After that, it was a 1/3 of an oz at a time the rest of the day. On day 2 I was up to 1 oz at a time, after like day 4 or 5 I was drinking more or less freely being the swelling was going down. I know it's an effort, but you have to live by this mantra at this point. Sip sip sip, walk walk walk. The walking will help with the gas issues. If you start feeling hunger pains, it's acid buildup, take your acid reducer the doc gave you. The fluid intake is important, you don't want to get dehydrated, but above that, is the need for protein, you must get the protein in, even if it takes all day, protein is what helps you heal and I know my doc wanted me to get 90 grams in a day at the minimum. I was doing 150 grams. I was doing 5 Premier protein shakes a day for months. Each is 11 ozs and has 30 grams of protein each, you can get them by the case at Costco. They are in the pharmacy area. When I went in for my 1 month visit, the doc was surprised at how fast and how well I had healed. I told him I was taking 150 grams instead of the 90 grams and he responded with that's explains it. Basically I'm being long winded here but you just have to keep sipping. Before my surgery, I could drink 120 ozs of fluid a day and then some, especially  in the summer when it gets 105-108 degrees here where I live. Now, even at 6 months out, it's a struggle for me, not that's hard or difficult, it's just that I don't have a sense of thirst really and I have to remind myself to drink. I prefer Sobes, also at costco, they are 0 calorie and gives some flavor options. I keep several at my desk at home, I have them on my night stand, I keep several in the truck, you get the picture. It's just a matter or keeping in sight and in mind. Good luck, you will have an easier time as the swelling decreases.

White Dove
on 5/13/16 6:36 am - Warren, OH

Your post is very difficult to read because it has no paragraphs.  Just a huge chuck of text.  On the internet you need a paragraph with a max of three sentences per paragraph.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ubserved
on 5/13/16 9:52 am, edited 5/13/16 2:55 am

So your reply has nothing to do with content or the topic at hand. It's just a reason for you to complain. I'm not writing a legal brief or a term paper. Believe me when I say I can and do write in proper grammar every day. When I am home and relaxing, I will type as I please without running a spell checker, without looking to see if a period or comma is in the right place, or whether or not someone with a stick up their six is going to be offended by it. If you don't like the way I post, then skip it and move on to the next thread. Pretty simple solution there.

White Dove
on 5/13/16 12:37 pm - Warren, OH

I just think it is a shame that people don't read a post because there are no paragraphs.  You write good posts and they are just not readable.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

krysunderwood
on 5/16/16 12:27 am
VSG on 07/04/16

I read your post just fine, and it was a great post, very informative! Thanks for taking the time to share that information with us! 

P goode
on 5/13/16 8:11 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 05/11/16

I ended up being sent home with a bunch of those cups as well- it's strange but my doc didn't give me a ppi. Think I need one but not sure if I can get it down- my pain pill I have been cutting into quarters and one of those almost came back up. I have phenergan suppositories and zofran oral disintegrating  tabs for nausea but they irritate my stomach when I swallow them they irritate. All I have managed this morning is one of those dose cups of herbal tea with honey and I started salivating like I was going to throw that up so I stopped. So ready for the painful and burning sensation to subside. All my incisions are fine- only pain is this stomach!

Done! Your Ticker:

Most Active
Recent Topics