HELP... Should I travel for the surgery?

mona.babaei5
on 5/11/16 2:35 pm

My insurance just approved my surgery, but recently I moved from San Francisco to Newport Beach, CA. My surgeon wants to do the surgery in Concord, CA. He told me that I could stay 3 days in the hospital and then I could fly back home. I'm just not sure about the pain; can I sit for more than an hour? Is it important being close as in distance to my surgeon if there is an emergency? As much as I'm excited for getting the surgery I'm worried about the logistics of it and if I should go for the surgery in Concord or change the surgeon and find a new one in So Cal!! Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

ubserved
on 5/11/16 2:56 pm

I had surgery six months ago. The worst for me pain wise was the drive home, every bump no matter how small or no matter how slow the turn was changing from one street to the next, was pure misery and nauseous. Everyone is different, I didn't really experience any of the side effects others have reported. You will have to decide if you want to be post surgical in a hospital room for three days. I know I didn't want to be anywhere but home where everything I needed was there, mainly my very comfy bed. Personally speaking if it was me, I would switch doctors, you shouldn't have to start all over being the records can be sent over. Then there is the follow up, you going to commute to keep the same surgeon, I would rather have the follow up with the surgeon who did the surgery. Either way, best of luck to you.

White Dove
on 5/11/16 4:08 pm - Warren, OH

I would find a surgeon in Southern California.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Darcy G.
on 5/11/16 4:49 pm, edited 5/11/16 9:49 am
VSG on 04/07/16

I second Dove. For real.

As someone who had some freaksome complications, it was very inconvenient to keep being shipped the 2.5 hr drive to my surgeons hospital--once by ambulance.

This isn't even taking into account all the travelling and such other people have to do to get to you for emergencies or ferrying about when you're released but still not able to drive. 

There was a closer hospital with a bariatric center to me, but since they hadn't done my surgery, they didn't really want to inherit my hospital's problem child :)

Of course, you may have no problems! I hope for that for you, but in case if you don't want shipped back, I'd contact a local Dr before surgery and see if they'd consider pulling the emergency-type care afterwards should the need arise.

Good luck!

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/11/16 5:47 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I would not travel to Concord for surgery.  There are plenty of excellent surgeons in SoCal.   You do not want to travel after you've had surgery.  Trust me.

I responded to you on another thread when you asked for a referral.  My surgeon was Justin Braverman from the NEW Program.  He's located in Orange County and I highly recommend him.  His office staff blows, but he's a wonderful human being and a great surgeon. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

LeapSecond
on 5/12/16 6:01 am - AR

I live about an hour from my surgeon.  The drive home was tolerable.  I can't imagine going through airport with baggage, etc. I would find a new doc if you are going to be there for any length of time.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Sammy2929
on 5/12/16 7:01 am
VSG on 05/02/16

I agree with everyone to have a doctor closer to home.  Call your insurance and explain the situation to them.  I am sure they can recommend a surgeon closer if it's allowed.

Good Luck!

Lynn D

Age:52, Height 5'4", HW 299, SW 282.6, Current weight as of 02/22/17 159 lbs.

M1 30, M2 25, M3 30,  M4-9 M5 ? M-6,7,8 25lbs, M 9 1/2 ?

KansasPrincess
on 5/12/16 8:01 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

I had surgery in Mexico and live in Kansas city. flying wasn't too bad I slept most of the flight and brought a pillow and hugged it when we hit turbulence or was landing . it wasn't too god awful bad

beelitehobbies
on 5/12/16 6:36 pm, edited 5/12/16 11:37 am - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15

I flew home 1 week after surgery. Was no big deal. I had surgery in my home town and not where I live. This was for family support reasons.  Driving 3 days post op was crazy painful if a bump was driven over. Wow! Avoiding lifting was the only real challenge I faced post op. That complicated life more than an anything for me?

You need access to the Doc,yes. You need family support more IMO?

Male 55, Initial weight 388#, and 6'1" / surgery weight 360#/Current Weight is 296#

Valerie G.
on 5/15/16 6:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

There should be no problem finding a local surgeon who does VSG.  Mine required patients to be within an hour of them for 2 weeks.  WLS don't like dealing with other surgeons' patients outside of emergency basis, so I think your concerns are valid.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics