Energy

jenny_733
on 5/10/16 5:21 am

I have not had my sleeve yet (hopefully June), but what I want to know is do energy levels improve after weight loss? I am pretty sedentary, except at work, and typically have no energy and can barely get through a day off without a nap. 

Does that improve after surgery? I know there will be a transition from recovery, but does it get better?

Sandra F.
on 5/10/16 5:53 am

It has definitely improved for me, a lot, but not right away.  It took at least 4 months before I saw improvement in this area.  Hopefully it will for you too.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 5/10/16 6:08 am - MI

I had a ton of energy and I still do. Eight days post op I was tailgating and attending a football game from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. My energy level was great at work following surgery! 

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Kris R.
on 5/10/16 6:31 am - Walworth, NY

My energy level is so much better -  giving up carbs and coffee helped to eliminate crashes.  Don't get me wrong, I'm like the energizer bunny and then I want a nap on weekends.  But at least I can get through the day, get my workout in, dinner/dishes and a load of wash or 2.  Where before I'd hit the couch from the door and walk out it again in the morning.  You'll be amazed at how much more time you'll have because you won't be so tired.  

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

alouisa63
on 5/10/16 6:39 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

After surgery, it took about 6 weeks for my pre surgery energy level to come back.  Now, 9 months after?  I have more than I could have ever imagined :)

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/10/16 7:50 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Immediately after surgery, I felt like I'd been hit by a bus. I slept almost all of the time during my 2 weeks off from work, and I napped after work pretty much every day until the 2 or 3 month mark. (To be fair, I did my recovery on nothing but Advil and was a slow healer, which may be part of it.)

After I was all healed up, though, I definitely felt more energetic. I started riding my bike, and when I would previously get tired after a mile or two, I was soon able to ride 5, then, 10, then 40 without stopping. I can walk wherever I want for as long as I want without getting tired. And the only time I need a nap is when my 6-month-old wants to party after his 2am bottle!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Darcy G.
on 5/10/16 9:06 am
VSG on 04/07/16

I have nothing oo add, I'm still in the post-op healing exhaustion vortex... I just love hearing lll the I HAVE ALL THE ENERGIES posts. They're Sleepy Darcy's favorite for storytime :)

YAY FOR MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF ENERGY!

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Renren
on 5/10/16 9:53 am
VSG on 12/02/15

Before my surgery I thought i'd just became a lazy person. It was all I could do to get through my work day. Although the first several weeks after surgery I felt fatigued, now it's so different. I'm getting stuff done that I've put off for years. Lots of household projects (My closets and cabinets are organized and everytime I open one it makes me happy) I think you'll be as surprised as I am at how easy it is to get things done.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

tdelson
on 5/10/16 1:09 pm
VSG on 10/12/15

I have a lot more energy after the surgery, 4 days after I was bored sitting at home and went for walks. One of my jobs involves a far amount of physical activity and I was exhausted afterwards. Now I have no problems doing it and actually do more than I should.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/10/16 3:54 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Yes.  Yes.  And yes.

I used to need constant naps.  In fact, most of my weekends were spent "catching up on sleep."  I was exhausted all the time, hauling around 400+ lbs everyday.

Now I am the Energizer Bunny (kinda).  I rarely take naps and can't sit still for very long.  You will be AMAZED at how much your energy levels pick up once you lose weight.  Keep in mind that you will feel tired as you're healing from surgery, so don't expect immediate results.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Recent Topics