i chew it to get the taste, then spit it out....

FuturePinUp
on 5/8/16 7:11 pm

To echo what others have said: You should definitely be eating a lot more than just shakes and cottage cheese, even if you haven't yet been moved to soft solids. Food can still be a pleasurable activity post-surgery and the healthiest way to make the surgery work for you is to make healthy adjustments to your diet that you can live with and maintain long term.

You should not be eating or not eating something to please the sights of others. People will notice you have lost weight, and honestly, you don't owe anyone an explanation of how you do or do not eat. Pretty much every person I ever eat with knows I no longer eat carbs. No one really questions it. It's just how it eat. It doesn't interfere with their food. They can do that, but it's not even a questioned thing for me. I don't necessarily have to tell them I had any sort of surgery (or anything at all) - but do often just say that I've adapted a low-carb, high-protein lifestyle, if asked about splitting a carby appetizer or something. I still partake in amazing parties and food-oriented events. 

In the situation above, I would have ordered the salmon with veggies, ate a few bites of the fish (chewed down really well), pushed the veggies around, and then taken the rest home - citing not being all that hungry at the time. Chewing then spitting food out is a dangerous route to go - aside from the mental repercussions, digestion begins at chewing. This is the time when you are laying the foundations for how you eat now, for the rest of your life. Doing it the right way will only benefit you down the line. 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Heavens2Betsy
on 5/8/16 8:13 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

Please be honest with your doctor tomorrow and talk about this.  They should know of someone that can help you develop a more healthy relationship with food.  As others have mentioned, you are in need of help and the sooner you get it, the better off you'll be in the long run.  If your surgeon doesn't refer you to an eating disorder therapist tomorrow, call your regular doctor or your insurance company to find someone.  Don't wait - things like this only get worse over time if left untreated and can be very, very serious.  I don't mean to scare you, but you're worth the effort it's going to take to be healthy for life.  You've already decided to take better care of yourself with the VSG, and this is just the next step on your path.

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

TexasTerritory
on 5/9/16 6:58 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Gross. This is a very poor coping strategy.

thinnerrebecca
on 5/9/16 7:27 am
VSG on 04/18/16

I did the same thing but I just chewed well and ate it, I understand what you mean about unable to resist! was on that spell whole of last week! whew! somebody told me about a protein shake with peanut butter, bananas and chocolate powder, try it it's delish! and don't worry about what was over! :)

I don't think it's major problem for your stomach right now but this is what is called bulimia, a kind of eating disorder, it might start a hard habit on you and may have severe health consequences later and guilt about eating.

better just grind up whatever food you wanna eat and spoon count it, Like have one or two spoonful of anything you like but grind it first that way you can choose which favourite food you wanna eat and also you won't damage your stomach. good luck!! :)

Bufflehead
on 5/9/16 7:52 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I don't ordinarily respond to trolls but I just have to say, this is such terrible advice in basically every respect, OP, please ignore this person and get advice from your own medical team. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics