Having a reality crisis-Surgery tomorrow- Cold Feet?

KarolElin
on 5/8/16 5:08 pm

It just sort of dawned on me, that I won't be able to consume more than about 1000 cal a day after I get the sleeve. Do you have to keep lowering your calorie intake to keep losing weight? How few calories do you have to go to be able to maintain a goal weight?  What am I about to do? Will I regret this? Sorry for rambling I am in tears and I feel like everything is closing in on me.

"Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle."-Jon Acuff

5'11" HW 368;  SW 294; 1 MO -10.2; 2 MO -7.9; 3 MO -12.4; 4 MO -8.4; 5 MO -7.1  CW 242

yvonnef1964
on 5/8/16 5:21 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

I'm almost 21 months out ,I eat 1000-1200 calories a day and still losing weight slowly.

At first you can't eat much but it increases over time. Everyone gets nervous but it was the best thing I have done for myself.

Rai
on 5/8/16 5:33 pm - NY
VSG on 05/04/16

I had a revision from the lapband on 5/4/16. I almost had a panic attack while waiting to go into surgery. I was concerned about the caloric intake, the pain, the recovery. What got me through was focusing on the benefits after the procedure. The weight reduction, the improvement of health, and the CLOTHES!!!! All will be well.

Modifying my sexy!            
(deactivated member)
on 5/8/16 5:33 pm

You won't have the same desire for as many calories/as much food after your surgery so less calories than you are used to won't seem bad at all. At first your calorie intake will be very low and you will be measuring everything you eat but you probably won't want more unless you suffer from head hunger. That's a whole other matter. Most people get more active as they lose weight and find they can gradually eat a little more than at first and still lose weight. I had the same thoughts about how can I live on so little. Hunger just isn't the same as before surgery. I do get hungry ten months out but when I eat I feel satisfied on very little food. It is the tool that lets us eat less and still do fine.

It is normal to be questioning these things especially the night before. Very very few people show up saying long term they regret the surgery though some have buyers remorse for a little while after the surgery. I was not one of those. Best thing you will ever do for your health and your life is so many ways.

Good luck to you tomorrow.

KarolElin
on 5/8/16 5:52 pm

Thank you all, I am just having jitters. This is totally life changing and I am very much a creature of habit. I have been having dreams that I am eating and just messed up my clear liquids only pre-op diet. I have never dreamed about food before.

luvmypuggies
on 5/8/16 6:20 pm

Lol - those dreams are not uncommon in this crowd! :) 

I've yet to hear of someone *****grets this surgery. It IS life-changing as you said, but in a wonderful way.  Good luck tomorrow, and be sure to check in and let us know how you're doing!

TerriLMac
on 5/8/16 9:16 pm

I'm 6 months out and am closing in on 100 pounds lost.  It has COMPLETELY changed my life!  Best thing I've ever done and I have ZERO regrets!  Good luck to you!

Terri

Surgery Date:  10/21/15

Surgery Weight:  268

Current Weight:  170

Height:  5'8"

Current Size:  10 (from an 18 or 2X)

Rai
on 5/9/16 5:07 am - NY
VSG on 05/04/16

Congrats!!

Modifying my sexy!            
ubserved
on 5/8/16 11:33 pm

If you search for my previous posts, a few days ago I posted a very long detailed post of my experiences. It was posted on May 5th. It was the 6 month anniversary of my starting the pre-op diet followed by the surgery and all the stages. If you can't find it, send me a message and I will pull the link for you. Don't worry, like you I was totally apprehensive over it, and now I wish I had done this years ago. Good luck.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/9/16 4:08 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Most of us get cold feet along the way. Surgery is a big deal, and you shouldn't take it lightly. 

And, committing to surgery is committing to a major lifestyle change. In order to lose the weight and keep it off, takes a lot of work. You'll have to completely change your relationship with food. A lot of people find that therapy is a huge help with working on our head issues.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics