4 1/2 Years Out, Never got to Goal, Need Encouragement it is still possible

roobi
on 5/7/16 11:07 pm, edited 5/7/16 11:14 pm

Just some background. I'm 5' 6''.  My highest weight was around 330lbs. (maybe more, tried not to weigh myself too much back then). I had been over 300lbs or close to it since my late teens.

I think I was around 325 the time of surgery (again can't quite remember exact #s).  I had VSG in December 2011. I was in my mid 30s.

Have no regrets regarding surgery. Had no complications other than some anemia issues, which I also dealt with prior to the surgery. I will admit that I didn't always eat right after surgery. I still ate high carb, candy, cookies, ice cream etc. just in smaller portions. However, I still lost weight so I thought it was ok. 

My goal was to weigh 155lbs. It took me about two years to get down to 177lbs which was the lowest I saw on the scale.  Then it seemed like within a month, I went up to about 185lbs where I stayed for the past 2 and half years or so. It seemed like if I ate bad I'd be 185, if I ate clean/good I'd be 185. It just didn't budge. Then last year there was a brief period where I suddenly gained 10lbs (up to 197lbs) due to overeating from my mom getting sick and passing away. Seeing that number so close to 200lbs really shook me. In March, I started eating right again. This is probably the healthiest I've eaten at any point after my surgery. Today I weighed myself at 187lbs and feel good. A couple of weeks ago, I have started to incorporate walking for exercise. So I hope that helps.

I really would like to get to my goal weight and had hoped to be there by at least my 5 year anniversary. I still have a lot of excess fat. Even though I thank god everyday for having VSG and for being under 200lbs, I still would like to reach my goal weight. Just looking for encouragement or maybe someone has been in my boat who has gotten to goal even after a regain.

ETA: I forgot to mention that in 2013 I was in a serious car accident. That was around the time I reached the 170s then went back to the mid 180s. After the accident I was pretty limited in physical activity. I'm just now getting to the point where I can exercise without being needing a pain pill.

NYMom222
on 5/8/16 5:14 am
RNY on 07/23/14

You still have your tool, and you still can do this. There is a forum on here called 'getting back on track' for people who are battling regain. Exercise is great, but it is what you put in your mouth that will make you lose. Remember dense protein will keep you full longer. Protein first then veggies.... don't drink while you east and 30 minuted after. Get back to basics. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

cappy11448
on 5/8/16 5:36 am

Hi Roobi,

I'm so glad you posted this message.  There is so much emphasis on weight loss on the forum, and truly,  I think maintenance is even more challenging. 

First, Congratulations on your successes.  Just think how much better it is to be struggling to lose the last 20 or 30 pounds, rather than dealing with morbid obesity! 

I'm three years post op and I'm struggling to maintain.  It is getting harder and harder.  So I can relate.

For me,  I do pretty well except when I give in to the carbohydrates.  I know this is a struggle for many of us.  Try cutting out all carbs, and see if this diminishes your cravings and makes it easier to follow the program.

Then you know the drill for your program - dense proteins first, followed by all the healthy low carb veggies you can eat.  No grazing,  Low carb, limited calories, and patience. 

You can do this.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

thinnerrebecca
on 5/8/16 11:14 am
VSG on 04/18/16

Carol, I'm just so glad you're around! you know just the right things to say! :)

White Dove
on 5/8/16 6:48 am - Warren, OH

Eating protein forward and healthy is good, but if you are not losing weight, then you are taking in too many calories.  If you want to lose weight you will have to limit the calories.

Cutting out 500 calories a day makes me lose one pound a week.  To lose 32 pounds, it would take me 32 weeks.  I weigh myself everyday.  I take my food and keep calories where they need to be for me to lose.  My goal weight is 136.  If I have a gain, then I go to 900 calories a day until my weight is back at 136.  My maintenance calories are 1400, but lately that have been a bit too high.

I have learned that every year it takes a bit less calories per day to maintain. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/8/16 9:31 am

I can really understand your frustration.  

I do believe that our bodies have a weight set point.  A weight our body feels comfortable with and will try to preserve it.  For you - that point at the preset is around 185 -187.. You can gain weight, but it seems like it is close to impossible to get below that set point. 

But, even though it may be difficult, it is not impossible.  My body set point used to be around 163..I would lose down to 160...then gain back to 167... For over a year I tried to break the 160 lbs line.. And eventually my body let it go. My new set point as of today is 157... I fluctuate between 155- 158... My goal is 153... With a range 150- 156.. But now I understand that it may take me a month or 6 months to get there... I may see 154..here and there...but to reset my body point to 153...and be able to maintain that long term - is going to be a longer process. 

Follow the diet. Proteins + fat + good carbs... Not too many proteins...not too many carbs... 

Take one day at a time...one meal... One "bad" day will not make you gain 10 or 20 lbs... But giving up will.. 

Exercise is helpful for health. But if you eat the calories back - in carbs form..it may even cause weight gain..

I cringe when I see people who try to lose weight eat carbs before they work out so they can work out...

It does not make any sense to me.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

thinnerrebecca
on 5/8/16 11:10 am
VSG on 04/18/16

so that's it, it's because of your accident, chin up you're going slow yet steady! I'd suggest you listen to the girls around here on diet advice they seem to know a lot and ask anytime you need support/ motivation we're here!  go for protein, tuna and lentils and google up some high protein food and stick to it for a few weeks :)

and the anemia issues, you need just an injection from any doc once a month for iron supplement, I'm getting one for the same reason! so cheer up! good luck!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/8/16 7:38 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

You have a great tool & it'll keep working for you as long as you use it properly, i.e dense proteins first, carbs from veggies, get your water in,64 oz minimum, keep up with your vitamins.

It is so easy to get distracted & fall off the wagon, life can throw you a couple of curveballs & at times it can feel impossible to get back on track.

I know for me, I've had to learn to forgive myself & remember its not when you fall down that's important, its whether you choose to get back up. It sounds super sappy but its what I keep in mind whenever I eat a little off track, or I had an off the rails kind of eating day. 

It seems that your body is reluctant to let the weight go after you reach the 180's, you'll probably have to keep staying true to your plan & wait till your body is ready to let it go & it can be slow going.

Funny your post is kinda reminding me of my journey, not the car crash part, glad you're ok from that, but the 2 years to get to the 170's, I'm at where you were then & yeah it feels like it takes forever to reach the next step, 160's, 150's, but I had to learn to be patient.

You can lose the weight & get to goal, it'll just take time to get there. Good luck to you.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

diane S.
on 5/9/16 10:05 am

go to the vsg maintenance group. there are folks there who have had some regain and have some good strategies. I like to have chicken veggie soup or scrambled eggs and turkey bacon for a high protein calorie reasonable dinner.  gotta find a late night snack that won't kill you like jerky or a protein hot coco.  good luck.  and gl on the exercise. anything helps.  diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

LISA C.
on 5/10/16 6:45 pm - NJ
VSG on 02/22/12
Most Active
Recent Topics