Anticipatory grief

animlzrule
on 5/10/16 5:40 pm

Thank you so much. Regarding this: "For you, I wonder about when you post that you NEED to do this but don't WANT to do this." What I mean is, in my perfect world, I would continue to eat exactly the way I do now, but without being fat. I know that if I continue to eat the way I do, I am going to find myself in a situation in which I am immobile. There just doesn't seem to be an end other than that for me. So, I need to do this surgery in a Hail Mary attempt to force a change in my eating habits. But, I don't want to go the rest of my life without eating say, a cheeseburger, or a slice of pizza, or, having to eat bland chicken/turkey and broccoli or the equivalent, forever and ever. Because that's what I picture eating after WLS to be like. A very strict, almost punitive diet. I guess what I'm looking is for someone to say, "I was EXACTLY like that, felt the SAME way, did the surgery anyway, and realized it was the best thing I ever did for myself, and eating is not the drudgery post surgery that I had imagined!!!!" (Not asking a lot, I know! ) Again, thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I truly am taking everyone's advice to heart. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/12/16 7:50 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It may be helpful to chat with a therapist with some experience in bariatrics, or at the very least disordered eating, before committing to surgery. Most folks need a psych clearance anyway, so you'll need to talk to SOMEONE at some point in the journey.

Surgery fixes our stomachs, not our heads. Even with a sleeve, it's possible to eat junk food and graze all day on things we may have binged on before.

If you feel like you're being drug into this, you won't succeed. Post-op life requires full commitment-- it's not a magical solution, it still requires full attention and compliance on our part. Only go ahead if you want this and you're emotionally prepared.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics