Band out and thinking of going to vsg . Will I be able to eat meat?

InTheMiddle
on 5/6/16 10:47 pm

So the band has been out since nov and I think I'm set on sleeve.  With the band I was vomiting every day for years. (Since 09) because of that (and other issues) I lost several molars.  The harder it was to chew the more I would vomit.  Now I'm holding back on the sleeve because I'm afraid with my chewing issue I won't be able to eat...again.  I plan to get implants as time goes, but there is no guarantee in that because they are expensive.   But if I don't get away from being almost 300 lbs I'm going to die.  I'm between a rock and a hard place. 

Also, blending meat fir the rest of my life is not an option.  

Are smoothies tolerated (I do veggie smoothies not sugary ones)?  How about juicing? 

Any advice, recommendations or words of wisdom?

happytoloose
on 5/6/16 11:44 pm

Oh Yea! I would honestly say that 75% of my diet is meat. Pork is my favorite, and great protien/calorie ratio. But beef, lamb, poultry and fish are very easy for me at 18 months.

I dont burn it up like I used to, beef medium rare, moist, natural juices, crockpot pork, ribs, roast and chops on the grill, baked fish, chicken and turkey also get the job done.

I will screw up once in a while and under chew or eat too fast or swallow to big of chunk and its GAME OVER. Not so much now because ive learned the hard way.

Second nature now, automatic. IVE BECOME A CAVE MAN. LOL

Not so bad, still have room for some greens, some beans and some cottage cheese. mmm, getting hungry, c'mon breakfast time.

I never eat after 8pm, just my cutoff, not essential.

Good luck, hang on tight and enjoy the ride. Great things will happen.

I Love My Sleeve

Rod

happytoloose
on 5/7/16 12:00 am

Oh, the ticker numbers are so wrong. Cant update.

July 2014 high weight  490 WOW

surgery date Oct 28-2014

weight on cut day- 454 WOW

current weight- 227 WOW

Loss to date- 263 WOW, JUST WOW!

NEW GOAL #4 - 220. I Dont care if I loose another pound, but I know I will.

InTheMiddle
on 5/7/16 5:48 pm

Thanks for your reply.  You said the magic words though, "under chew" I under chew every meal.  Im missing 7 teeth.  The band was never right and i was vomitting almost every meal.  About a year in my teeth began to crumble. So now I have a very difficult time chewing my food.  

I just went through a year of weekly IV to get my nutrition and strength up.  They said I was lucky that I didn't have a heart attack with my mag so low.  Since 2009 I've been vomiting.   I'm terified to go back there. But each implant will be about 2000 and can only do one a year if insurance is going to cover it.  Plus the surgery (sleeve) is about 3000.  I've been off worm for a year partly because of the severe deficiency  (still have problems). 

It sounds like you are doing fantastic.  Congrats!  You give me hope that I'll figure something out and get there too.  

Do you have to take antacids or anything?

Bufflehead
on 5/7/16 2:42 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I eat meat at almost every single meal and haven't thrown up once since being sleeved almost 3 years ago. I did have to puree meat for four weeks when I was on the puree stage, but that is a distant memory. Meat has never given me any trouble whatsoever. The only things that make me uncomfortable are bread with yeast in it and anything carbonated. And those make me uncomfortable, but they don't make me throw up.

Are juicing and smoothies tolerated? Sure. Are they a good item to consume for weight loss or even maintenance? IMO no. If you are doing them consistently and are almost 300 lbs, I would also say, the proof is in the pudding, right? Part of this whole WLS thing is being willing to make radical changes in your diet and let go of the ways you have eaten and related to food in the past.

InTheMiddle
on 5/7/16 5:37 pm, edited 5/7/16 10:48 am

The reason I weigh what I do literally has nothing to do with how I eat.  I have baffled the doctors and the only reason I'm considering the sleeve is in hopes of lowering my set point.  

What could possibly be wrong with juicing a cucumber, apple, handful of spinach and kale and a few pieces of celery and then drinking it in small portions throughout the day?  I was seriously malnourished from lack of food so it is how I keep nutrients in.  

If pudding was what I ate, then the proof would be there.  But I  don't eat processed food hardly at all.  Like once a month.  I don't eat simple sugars. I don't eat candy or "treats" they make me ill physically and mentally so bit is not a treat at all. 

Even without the band I eat less than 1000 calories because if I go over that I Gain rapidly. I eat meat and low carb veggies.

I don't remember the last time I ate bread so that's ok. Gluten free with processed foods is not healthy. I haven't had a soda in months and then it was only a few sips; I never ever drink more than half. And I do those sips about 3 times a year.  Typically its when I'm at a restaurant that doesn't have bottled water (I don't drink city water).

Most people mix up juice or smoothies from sweet fruit.  Most people wouldn't be able to choke down the juice I make bease its made withe mostly veggies.  But I love it.  Sweet juice makes me feel aweful.

I realize that most people who are my weight scarf down two big macs and fries and a "go big" drink. Not me.  I'm still shocking doctors or leaving them thinking I'm lying. I'm definitely done defending myself to doctors.   

White Dove
on 5/7/16 3:10 am - Warren, OH

Talk to a dentist.  Get good fitting dentures for now.  Inplants can be in the future, or may be something that the dentist will set up a payment plan for. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

InTheMiddle
on 5/7/16 5:41 pm

Unfortunately that won't work for me because they are sort of spread out and even if I could,  if the insurance pays for them, they won't pay for the implant in the future :(

Steph Meat Hag
on 5/8/16 1:39 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I just got my band out and my sleeve in 2 months ago.  Let me tell you eating meat is a dream come true.  No more having to chew it until you might as well put it in a blender.  I can eat beef jerky!! I fathom 80% of what I'm having is meat, I am trying to stay as low carb as possible.  Other great items I can eat are nuts! I no longer fear swallowing and getting stuck.  I just chew things normally, I was banded for 8 years so I do chew well because of that but if you accidentally swallow something bigger than you would normally no need to freak and run for the bathroom, it's just fine. 

The sleeve is a lap banded person's dream come true.  Restriction caused by a smaller fully functional stomach and you don't get stuck and there is no erosion.  Ask more if you want about the procedure or the differences.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

dgauer
on 5/10/16 11:16 am

i just got my lap band removed on 04/27/2016, Had it done in 2009 hated the constant puking so i had the liquid removed, then just decided to have it removed.  How long did you have to wait before having the sleeve done?  

Most Active
Recent Topics