Soft Food Diet

swtnchrmd
on 5/5/16 2:25 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

How did your day 1 of soft foods go? :)

jazzygirlnc
on 5/5/16 5:27 pm
VSG on 04/14/16

Its gone really well. Making sure I chew everything to liquid consistency helps alot. Not drinking while eating is a little difficult.hope your first day went good

Height: 5'9" // VSG: 4/14/2016

HW: 297# (while pregnant) // SW: 273.1# // CW: 187.8# //

GW: 145#

Lost thus far: 85.3# // Until Goal: 42.8#

Percent Excess Weight Loss: 66.5%

swtnchrmd
on 5/5/16 7:36 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

I totally agree! It seems like the time I want to drink the most is when I am eating. Lol. 

Kris R.
on 5/4/16 10:40 am - Walworth, NY

try not scrambling the eggs but eating them over-easy.  I found the scrambling was too dense.  You could also add a little milk/water to thin them out or even make it more like an omelet than scrambled - again, the dense thing comes into play.  tunafish will be your new best friend.  :) pick up those 3 oz packages and put them everywhere - at least I did, then I was never caught with the panic of.... oh, now what am I supposed to eat.  I didn't expect to be here this long..  I do want to mention 45 min. seems a little long for a meal.  but that's me.  i am for 20 to 30 min. for my 3 oz's and i stole someones idea of cutting my serving into 4 sections and setting my stopwatch.  i don't go onto the next serving until i'm at the 5 min. mark.  this way, it forces me to slow down.  and the family too.

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

swtnchrmd
on 5/5/16 2:26 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

That is really helpful information. Thank you so much!!!

VSG48MAN
on 5/4/16 11:38 am
VSG on 04/20/16

I also had my surgery on the 20th and I could only eat half my egg, but now I can eat half plus two tablespoons of mushy fruit.... IT GETS BETTER................

VSG48MAN

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/4/16 11:51 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Eggs can be problematic after surgery.  To this day, I do not like scrambled eggs any more.

Try poaching or soft boiling an egg instead.  Scrambled eggs tend to be dry and get stuck in our new sleeves.  I would avoid the cream of wheat because it's nothing but carbs.  There are better choices during the soft food stage.  Check out Eggface's website for ideas.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

swtnchrmd
on 5/5/16 2:27 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

I guess I was just looking forward to eating something semi-solid! Lol. I was very excited about eggs. Thanks for the website for ideas!!

seabexlose
on 5/4/16 12:42 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

I bet you are feeling so happy to be on soft foods!  I know I was!  I agree that this is a lot of food to start.  I wouldn't do both an egg and cream of wheat in the same sitting.  I would also consider avoiding the cream of wheat.  Its on the list of things that I am allowed to eat, but as it really offers no nutritional value/protein, I haven't been eating it.

I'm 1 week into soft foods and here's what I've been eating

egg - 1 at a time, soft scrambled or hardboiled, mashed with a dab of mayo

refried beans - 2 oz with 2 tsp of shredded cheese

cottage cheese

full fat plain Fage yogurt

tuna or salmon packets

I ate 2 oz of tilapia last night that went down easily, but I don't think I could have done that early on in soft foods.

Ricotta Bake from Eggface's website.  So yummy.  I'm making more today.

katblue
on 5/4/16 2:39 pm
VSG on 04/06/16

Nicole,

I know its exciting to get back on solid food!  This is my first week on solids and my surgery was April 6th.  

I tried eating an egg pureed 2 weeks post op and I felt like I had a brick in my stomach.  When I looked closer at the food list recommended by my doc, it stated that eggs are gassy - so to avoid until a month after surgery.  I tried eating one this morning and it was much better.  So, I recommend avoiding eggs for a couple more weeks.  I also agree that eggs with cheese and cream of wheat is alot of food. I have found that I don't really get a "full" feeling (which I understand is due to nerves being cut that haven't fully healed).  But I find if I stop eating after no more than 4 (fluid) ounces, I will feel satisfied 15 minutes or so later.  

I have done well with Oscar Mayer deli thin lunch meats, cheeses, avocado, canned tuna, canned chicken, cooked eggplant (my husband sets a whole eggplant right on the grill and when its done it is delicious, I just add a little parmesan-yum).  Today I was on the road and super hungry - I went to Arby's and got a Jr. Roast beef sandwich and asked them to hold the bun (no sauces of course) - perfect and only $1.69. Also, I found some Yasso yogurt bars-( 5g prot 100 cal) at Kroger in the ice cream aisle....just a few ideas...   

Katblue

5'7"  Start Wt 268.5 / VSG SURGERY 4/6/16 249.5 / CW 192

/ GOAL 158

M1-24  M2-9  M3-11.9 M4 - in progress

Most Active
Recent Topics