For the sleeved folks, can you describe the pain post OP?

cappy11448
on 5/4/16 9:38 am

I did not feel much pain when I woke up in the recovery room.  I think the anesthesia wears off slowly and often keeps us pain-free for a while after waking.  the first thing they ask you when you wake is how the pain is, and will give you something immediately if you need it.  So I don't think you need to worry about pain.

I think people often have more pain from the gas they use to inflate your abdomen during surgery.  It takes a while for your body to absorb it, and it can push on your internals and cause pain.  the solution is to walk, walk, walk.  But again you can get pain meds if you need them.

I was worried about nausea and asked for anti-nausea meds before surgery.  They worked really well, and I'm so glad I asked for them.

best wishes on your surgery.  You'll do great.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

SilverGirl2015
on 5/4/16 11:02 am

I experienced ZERO pain post-op. No nausea at all. The only thing ---and it drove me crazy was the itching/burning from the bandage adhesives.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/4/16 11:54 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I didn't take any pain meds once I was discharged from the hospital.  There was some discomfort.  I slept in a recliner for a few days as laying flat in bed was uncomfortable.

My surgeon said that some of his patients returned to work one week post surgery     I found that I tired easily after surgery and didn't have much energy as my body healed.  The pain varies from person to person, but I can tell you that it was minimal for me.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

KeishaLeigh
on 5/4/16 12:41 pm - NC
VSG on 02/24/15 with

My pain was not bad at all. Maybe a 4 or so. But the anesthia made me so sick. I stayed nauseous for about 6 or 7 hours after leaving recovery. I think if I had not been throwing up the pain wouldn't even have been that bad.

38 y.o. 5'7" HW 347 SW 332 M1 -22 M2 -18 M3 -19 M4 -9 M5 -18 M6 -11 M7 -13 M8-9 M9 -7 M10 -8 M11 -5 M12 -1 M13 -9 M14 -0 

lockjaw
on 5/4/16 5:59 pm

I had 0 pain after surgery.  Just a little stiffness.

- L

katblue
on 5/4/16 8:39 pm
VSG on 04/06/16

I had my sleeve done one month ago (April 6).  And let me start by telling you that I would never make it as a spy.  I don't do pain well - I'd give up everybody I know....Heck, I'd make up stories about ya ;) The pain is not bad at all.  The meds they give you in the hospital are sufficient.  Bring your own pillow (in a color pillowcase so you don't leave it behind). Walk as much and as soon as you can to alleviate the gas - walk, walk, walk.  It was the easiest surgery I've had. Except for fatigue and stamina, I could have gone to work after a week. You'll do fine!  One of the best decisions I've ever made.....

5'7"  Start Wt 268.5 / VSG SURGERY 4/6/16 249.5 / CW 192

/ GOAL 158

M1-24  M2-9  M3-11.9 M4 - in progress

cupofjavaVSG
on 5/4/16 8:49 pm

I am 5 weeks post op. I took pain meds for only 4 days post op. The worst part of the surgery/recovery is the gas pains. If you've had laparoscopic surgery then your familiar with the gas pains already. Best advice is walk walk walk after surgery.

Ellalosesit7
on 5/4/16 9:20 pm
VSG on 05/25/16

Thank you everyone for sharing so many great tips and for putting my mind at ease! I feel so blessed to have access to such a resourceful online community! I feel so much calmer after reading all of your messages! Thank you, thank you, thank you! 

Jibledoe
on 5/4/16 10:44 pm
VSG on 04/06/16

I was miserable for 2 weeks and even now I still have an annoying abdominal pain which is the stitches dissolving internally apparently. I think the reason I was in so much pain was the lack of real pain meds in the hospital and to go home with it was liquid Tylenol with codeine, which does nothing especially since I had to give up caffeine 3 weeks prior for the liquid diet and because Advil is a blood thinner I was only allowed Tylenol to stop the caffeine withdrawal headaches so I'd built up an immunity.

the first month will be the worst just because of all the changes as I'm officially a month out on Friday I'm hoping it gets better after that lol.

Luvmygs
on 5/5/16 7:57 am
VSG on 12/04/14

You will probably get all kinds of different answers on the pain question. For me I had no pain or nausea. Yes, I was a little sore for about 4-5 days and that was it. I was given a patch behind my ear for nausea and that worked great! The most important thing to remember is to tell the nurses if you start feeling any pain or nausea and they will nip it in the bud. You should be getting prescriptions from your surgeon prior to surgery for pain and nausea. Congratulations and wishing a speedy and easy recovery on your surgery day!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics