Surgery this Wednesday very nervous and scared.

Hum2016
on 4/24/16 9:08 pm
VSG on 04/27/16

So my date for my surgery is finally arriving this Wednesday I know I can do this but I am having anxiety. I already bought all the stuff I need and I am about to start my 2 day pre op diet starting tomorrow I only weigh 332 pounds my age is 24 years old and I have a BMI of 41 my mom has gone through 3 surgeries she got the lap band and she did the bypass after that she did the skin removal and everything came out good she has lost 200 pounds. My doctor has told me not to worry because even though I am over weight I am still healthy the only thing I have is low vitamin D. I'm just scared and nervous I want to do this not for my looks but for my health because I know if I keep going the way I'm going I will be at risk. 

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/25/16 3:06 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

you are young and healthy, so you'll do great!  I'm old and not completely healthy and it was much easier than I expected.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/16 4:22 am

Many of us have been really scared and anxious before surgery. It is not unusual at all. You are lucky to have  your mom's example to think about and I am sure her support. You also have your big extended family here on OH to support you. You are making a very wise choice to tackle your issue while you are young and healthy. It will make the surgery so much easier and your recovery faster. There was no surgical option for many of us when we were your age! You did not say if you have had ever had any surgery. Perhaps this is your first one. I was very nervous when I had my first surgery at age 42. I was amazed at how well it went and recovery was just a matter of giving it time. Each day felt better than the one before. I am sure you will do well and all you need to do is follow your Drs instruction to the letter. Drink and walk, drink and walk and when the time comes measure and weigh. It will soon be over and you will on the loser's bench. I hope your two  day liquid diet goes well. Let us know how you do.

seabexlose
on 4/25/16 12:02 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

Follow all the directions you're given and listen to the wisdom of the veterans on this board, and you will do well! 

cmccurdy
on 4/26/16 7:59 am
VSG on 04/20/16

I don't know if this will help you. But I am 23 years old. My stating weight was 355. I had my vsg last Wednesday and trust me, I was JUST as scared and nervous as you probably are right now. When I went in last Wednesday morning, I was unexpectedly as calm as could be. I prayed and I had complete faith in my Dr. Just like you. Besides being overweight The only thing I had was low vitamin D levels and Vitamin A. The surgery went so quickly to me. When I woke up, I wasn't in much pain and I completely stopped the pain meds on Day 2. I was up and walking and didn't even feel like I Had surgery at all! I know any procedure is a risk but to me, this one was smooth. Good luck to you!! It will be worth it!!!

Hum2016
on 4/28/16 7:40 am
VSG on 04/27/16

Everything went smooth the doctor said I was easy they only did 4 incisions on me I am walking a lot and passing gas a lot.

Most Active
Recent Topics