Help Head Hunger or other 3 days post op!

JP807
on 4/24/16 4:43 pm
VSG on 04/21/16

Hey all

Just wandering I am 3 days post op and feeliln good. Doing all the right things with hydration. However, and a big however and it scared the bejesus out of me.  I went to a family party because I have been bored and recognized that bordum does not bode well for me and eating, so I figured I would go to the party and hang outside and drink some water.  Well that is what I did and my family was great and very supportive, however I wanted to eat, but was not going to let that beat me.  Was I hungry or was I just wishing for the things unused to eat and what is gonna happen down the road. I am only 3 days out and I thought that temptation goes away. Can someone help enlighten me if this is normal! 

Sammy_85
on 4/24/16 4:52 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

I don't think temptation ever goes away. The surgery affects the stomach not the brain so the things that used to tempt us likely still will. I don't think you were experiencing real hunger being only 3 days out. I'm 3 months out and rarely feel actual hunger. I do struggle with head hunger sometimes but it seems to be lessening the further out from surgery I get. I'm sure it was head hunger you were experiencing too; good job for staying strong, you will likely need that strength further down the road when you are able to tolerate the foods you used to eat but shouldn't eat now. Hang in there!

seabexlose
on 4/24/16 9:11 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

Being around food is always going to be tempting, I would imagine.  I know it is still very tempting for me right now, and at this time I'm thankful for the rigidity of the post-op diet, because I just cannot cave and eat what I want. I don't want to hurt myself.  Learning how to be in social situations like that where food that I cannot and should not eat is going to be there is something I'm trying to build a skill set for in the meantime.

mauracg
on 4/25/16 1:33 am
VSG on 03/16/16

I had the same issue when I was on fluids only.  I could only watch shows on TV that had no food in them and had to fast forward through food commercials. Once I was able to eat/chew something, it got a lot better.  Now, I am rarely tempted to eat something unhealthy.  I am six weeks out and there are certain foods I can't be around (chinese and pizza in particular) because I crave them so badly, even though I am not actually hungry.  But for the most part, right now, I don't have the craving for unhealthy foods unless I am confronted with it - so I just avoid those situations as much as possible. 

HW: 262; SW: 249 (-13); Month 1: 227 (-21); Month 2: 212 (-15); Month 3: 201 (-11); Month 4: 193 (-8); Month 5: 189 (-4 with 2 week stall AKA vacation); Month 6: In progress!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/25/16 3:03 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I'm 4 weeks out and my husband made chocolate chip cookies yesterday.  My head said I needed one and if my post-op diet wasn't in place I might have.  BUT I had a protein shake instead - they fill me up so much I can't even think of eating anything else.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Oneillch
on 4/25/16 4:42 am
VSG on 02/04/15

15 months out & still dealing with head hunger, especially in the evening. It's best for me to stay busy & away from the kitchen. I think its something that I'm always going to have to deal with and it's not easy. Stay strong! 

Most Active
Recent Topics