Back pain and WLS

Dazs
on 4/22/16 10:32 am

I am new and have not had my surgery scheduled yet.  I still have to spend 5 more months on a weight loss program with my PCP (AGAIN) because of insurance.  I am hoping that if all goes well and all i's are dotted and all t's are crossed that I will be able to have surgery sometime in September or October.  In the mean time, I have had 3 back surgeries in the past, I have a lower lumbar fusion, and more recently have been diagnosed with SI joint dysfunction and arthritis in my spine and hip.  I realize that there are people out there that are in worse physical condition, but I am in pain every day.  I am a teacher and my job is painful, driving is painful, walking is unbearable, even sleeping is painful.  There is no surgical option for me, hence the desire for weight loss surgery.  My question is this, is there relief from this pain after weight loss?  I read many posts on the arthritis forum, but many of those posts weren't helpful.  My mind is made up to go ahead with this surgery, but I am curious about pain relief.  I am 43 and I miss bike riding, walking, playing tennis, camping, and doing all the things I used to enjoy so much.  I am curious if I will be able to get back to my pre-pain self and just enjoy life again. 

White Dove
on 4/22/16 11:44 am - Warren, OH

There is no guarantee that the pain will go away.  However whatnot excess your chances are good.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jenorama
on 4/23/16 12:29 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I have a history of lower back and shoulder pain. Nothing that requires surgery, but I had a pretty bad round of sciatica about 15 years ago that my chiropractor got me through. Since surgery my back and shoulder pain have improved a lot. I know I did some damage from being so heavy for so long and standing around for a long time can become painful, but recovery is much quicker. You might not see a complete resolution, but I would say you will see a marked improvement. 

Jen

Sandra F.
on 4/25/16 6:29 am

I have had lower back pain all my life and really noticed it when walking long distances before I lost the weight.  I have had nothing as serious as you describe, but now that I have lost the weight, I have noticed a significant decrease.  I can definitely walk long distances now without much pain.  I can't say that I am completely back pain free but it has decreased significantly.  I hope the same holds true for you.  Good luck to you.

Most Active
Recent Topics