Carbohydrates

NYMom222
on 4/22/16 8:08 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Once a NY'er always a NY'er ... as they say. Yes Pizza runs in our veins...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/22/16 1:20 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

So here's a very long story short, if you want more info send me a PM and I'll go into more detail.  About 8yrs ago I and my carb addicted self got a lap band.  I then proceeded to loose weight because I just ate less of all the things I liked before.  Great plan until that honeymoon phase runs out and you just gain it all back because I changed nothing really about what I was eating.  I just was on a "diet" so to speak.

So fast forward to a few months ago.  I had to get real with myself.  I had to admit I was a carb crazed cookie monster and needed to remove them from my life if I was to make VSG work.  So I said no more.  I have flat refused to allow myself a long list of "trigger" foods whi*****ludes all cookies, chocolate, candy, soda, chips, potatoes, ice cream, starbucks lattes, and other junk food items.  That list is long and very specific, I set those rules for myself.  I know what things made me eat too much, want more, or lead or other junk items.

I am now on a very low carb diet which I only have carbs two ways.  First way which is from a good food item that may naturally have some carbs in it.  These foods might be beans or nuts.  I have had a few small fruit choices but very limited but these would also be non junk food, foods with carbs.  Next and this is a very limited amount but I have also chosen for myself to not use artificial sweeteners.  So if I do have something like tea and would like some sweetener in it, then I do use a very limited amount of real sugar.  I am willing to allow a special drink on occasion but it's a teaspoon of sugar NOT my before VSG amount which would have been 4-8 teaspoons depending on the drink.  

I track everything in myfitnesspal and it's very important to me that I limit my carbs drastically.  I have found that after 8 weeks of this very limited carb eating that I no longer crave carbs.  Some wonderful things have happened.  I can have a large glass of tea with a teaspoon of sugar and it's wonderful.  I had a few strawberries and they were so sweet! I had a piece of watermelon and it was like a sweet heaven.  So the less of the carbs you have the less you want them, and the easier it is to not need them.  Plus your bonus is that things which hardly seemed sweet will be great! 

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

justpete
on 4/24/16 4:44 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

It's not really an addiction, its a habit. 

Use the time after surgery to form new habits to replace this one (and others) and make sure the people around you are at least aware for that (ideally they are on board with it too since it's likely not healthy for them either!)

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

kdaniel414
on 4/24/16 5:33 pm

Sorry I've been MIA - I've been sick with diverticulitis.  Thank you all for your replies.  I'm going to try my best to get a handle on this before my surgery.  You all helped me so much!

Kim

dobermanleloo
on 4/26/16 7:19 am
VBG on 02/10/16

I'm a carb & sugar addict! I can't touch it or it will take me a few days to detox! Once you pass the 2 weeks of NO carbs or sugars and eat only protein! Your body will no longer have those awful cravings...It's just getting past the 2 weeks I tried many many many times. But once I started my 6 month monitored diet per insurance with dr. I took baby steps along the way and 1 month prior to my official surgery date I cut all carbs and sugar cold turkey and only ate the protein and shakes because I wanted a safe and non-complication surgery.  Before surgery due to all protein diet I lost 30lbs before the VSG on 2/10. After surgery I've lost a total of 37pounds plus the 30 from the pre-op diet. My surgery went great and I've never been happier with my weight loss and I'm following the dr. diet to the tea.... they told me to eat a few green veggies cause really I'm all protein lol.  right now im eating an 80 calorie greek yogurt and I can never finish the whole thing. lol Best decision for me ever!  I'm healthy and feel great I can walk without getting winded and I fit on a roller coaster now hot diggity!  Good luck on your surgery and YES those carb cravings DO go AWAY!  just don't let the monsters creep up on you again once you stop.

Most Active
Recent Topics