How easy is it to stretch your stomach out after vsg?

Void
on 4/20/16 9:09 am

I apologize, this is a question I should really be asking my surgeon but all I asked him really was my risks of dying. Lol. Does your stomach ever stretch back to full compactly after surgery or will it always be sleeved and how easy is it to stretch that sleeve?

White Dove
on 4/20/16 9:23 am - Warren, OH

Your old stomach was the size of a 2 liter soda bottle.  Your sleeve is about the size of a magic marker.  Your sleeve will get bigger but not become a full size stomach.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

FuturePinUp
on 4/20/16 9:42 am

Your stomach can never stretch back to the size it was and stretching it at all is very difficult considering that most surgeons perform the procedure by removing most of the stretchiest part of stomach tissue. Your sleeve will naturally mature over time and you will be able to fit more than you could as your body heals. 

Overall, from all I have read and observed, I have yet to find any VSG person *****gained due to sleeve stretching - rather it's all about WHAT they're eating. Slider foods (chips, sugars, white carbs, etc.) will always go down easier and take up less space. Eating a protein forward diet, with veggies second and healthy carbs last will help you lose and keep the weight off forever, even if your sleeve does mature in capacity. 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/20/16 3:17 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Nailed it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

acbbrown
on 4/20/16 2:31 pm - Granada Hills, CA

It's pretty hard to significantly stretch your stomach. I had a significant regain and still did not really "stretch" my stomach - if I really test the limits, I have pretty good restriction with dense protein. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/20/16 3:18 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Your sleeve WILL "relax" as it heals. A month post-op, I could barely eat half an egg. Six months out, I could eat a full egg. Two years out, I could probably do two.

That said, if you eat stuff other than dense protein (i.e. carbs), you will find yourself able to eat quite a bit more of them. This does NOT mean your sleeve has stretched; rather, carbs don't hang around in your stomach very long and you can handle more.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

happyteacher
on 4/20/16 6:09 pm

I am a little ove 4 years out and have a large sleeve. This past December I had a very large hiatel hernia repaired, and the surgeon said just prior to surgery that he thought the sleeve stretched and that he may need to tighten it up. The stomach was very distended/mishapen due to the hernia. During surgery once he put it back where it belonged, it resumed the sleeve shape. So, even with potentially a few years of a messed up stomach that was herniated- still no stretching of significance. I am not saying that you should constantly eat until stuffed or anything, but it is not something you should worry about. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics