CPAP and VSG the night of the surgery

DeaconBluz
on 4/19/16 4:25 pm
VSG on 04/18/16

Hello all. I searched the forums and all the posts were several years old, so I thought I would bring it up again.

My question is did your doctor let you use your CPAP machine the night of you stay in the hospital? Mine says no CPAP the night in the hospital, but I looked at posts as far back as 2009 and their doctors let them use their CPAP machines the night in the hospital. My doctors excuse is that it could cause leaks. He says that I can use it the next night though (I don't understand this, as I am an engineer and I look at things a little differently). Also, I have the tendency to choke without a machine, so I am not looking forward to staying awake all night right after my surgery. If you use a CPAP were you allowed to use your CPAP machine? 

Please chime in. 

I have been using CPAP machines for about 15 years, kind of wed to it for any kind of sleep, even naps. My last weight gain was the result of the machine not being set right. Now I have one of those new adaptive machines and I do not have any issues.

Eventually I wouldn't mind ditching my machine but I can live with it for now.

DeaconBluz
on 4/19/16 4:29 pm
VSG on 04/18/16

One more thing, there are only 2 doctor groups that do this type of surgery in town. Is the surgeon a little behind the times as far as what is currently acceptable?

pdxwoman
on 4/19/16 4:34 pm
VSG on 03/21/16

My doctor insisted that I bring my CPAP into the hospital. I took it..

tdelson
on 4/19/16 4:35 pm
VSG on 10/12/15

Mine had me bring it and said to use it. The hospital had to check it out first. However the surgery was about 2 PM and I was prettu knocked out until about 9 PM when I woke up. I was still a little groggy and dozed off forgetting to have the machine hooked up. I was out all night, except for the blood pressure and normal checks during the night. 

seabexlose
on 4/19/16 5:03 pm, edited 4/19/16 10:04 am
VSG on 04/12/16 with

I was told I had to bring it, that they wouldn't operate without it.  It sat in the bag the entire time I was there, but I had it!  The RN asked me if I wanted to get it set up, but I really have not adapted to it and am looking forward to ditching it soon.  I barely met the minimum criteria for having OSA, so I'm hoping the weight loss will correct that soon.

yvonnef1964
on 4/19/16 6:07 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

I had to bring it to the hospital and it was on when I woke up in recovery.

Allie16
on 4/19/16 6:43 pm
VSG on 04/14/16

Just had my surgery last week and it was required to bring my CPAP to the hospital. I wore it both nights in the hospital. Although pretty out of it the first night.

getNfit4life
on 4/19/16 8:09 pm

I had my surgery on 3/8/16. I also have sleep apnea. I was told to bring my CPAP machine to the hospital with me, but my surgeon said Don't use it for the first few days. I did not use it at all while I was in the hospital, but was allowed to use it when I went home. His reason was the pressure could be too much for the sleeve. I just used the oxygen while in the hospital instead. 

LeapSecond
on 4/20/16 10:57 am - AR

I have had cPap since 2001.  They requested it to be there for post op recovery.  When I woke up I was not wearing it but they did have me hooked up to everything and my O2 sat was good.  I sept with it that night.  It does create a more than normal internal positive pressure.  Never thought of it harming a suture line.  

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Most Active
Recent Topics