Intolerance for hot showers after surgery?

Lindseydean1992
on 4/19/16 2:27 pm

A couple days ago I was in the shower and like I have always done I turned it on to the hottest setting and after ten minutes or so I started seeing spots and got very dizzy and sick to my stomach and suddenly the room felt like it was growing dim so I quickly turned off the water and got out to sit in a chair while still covered in soap and conditioner. I thought for sure I was gonna fall right on the floor. I was so scared because I had no idea what was going on and I almost grabbed my phone and called 911. Has this happened to anyone else?

luvmypuggies
on 4/19/16 3:00 pm

That must have been scary!  I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I know that I had to be very careful for many weeks (maybe months) after surgery when I would get up from a sitting position or out of bed in the morning - I would get very light-headed and dizzy just as you described, and sometimes had to sick back down again for a moment.  Pretty sure this is fairly normal, but I don't know the medical explanation so you might want to call your doc just to check.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/19/16 4:06 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Ho****er raises your blood pressure. After ten minutes? No surprise you nearly passed out.

If you want to go hot, take MUCH shorter showers. Otherwise it's best to go a little cooler until your BP evens out during weight loss.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

DiaMon
on 4/19/16 8:09 pm
VSG on 03/12/14

I had the same problem. Hot showers caused low blood pressure, so I had to do lukewarm showers for about a year while my body adjusted. Even if I climbed a ladder my blood pressure would plunge, I felt awful. I still have low blood pressure (when standing up sometimes, or if I bend over and stand straight right away) but it gradually gets better. Avoid hot showers!

Surgery Date: 3•12•14 HW:264 SW:240 // GOAL WEIGHT 160 lbs REACHED on 08/24/14 REVISED GOAL: 140 

REVISED GOAL REACHED: 01/12/2015 CURRENT WEIGHT: 135 (=

Most Active
Recent Topics