Peanut Butter?!?

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/21/16 6:04 am

I don't know anyone who can maintain in the 2000-3000 range.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/21/16 6:33 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Much less 600.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

califsleevin
on 4/21/16 12:56 pm - CA

The 2000 range is not all that unusual, particularly for those of us encumbered by testicles, and the higher muscle/fat ratio that typically goes with them. Up towards 3000 is certainly in the outlier category but they are around - Pete, who still drops in here occasionally, reports being in that range, though he does seem to workout like a son of a gun. I see a few of the ladies who sustain in the 1800 or so range - it all depends upon our overall build (resting metabolism most closely correlates to lean body mass,) activity levels and the amount of metabolic damage we may have sustained during our journey through morbid obesity.

On the flip side, I have seen a couple move through these forums who were stable at around 800, though they were generally dismissed by the promoters of the 6-800 calorie cookie cutter diet as having cheated on "the diet" as the reason for their slow loss and difficulty in getting to goal weight. When I was going through the psych eval, we discussed a couple of his non-WLS patients who gained at anything over 600 calories - again, outliers, but they are out there. Usually, people with that much of a metabolic problem can't maintain long term with the sleeve and need to move to the DS to get the metabolic kick needed to sustain themselves on a more normal diet.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/21/16 6:36 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If your surgeon has signed off on it, cool. But if you're only getting 40g protein in a day, you're falling quite short of the ASMBS recommendation of 60g per day (minimum) through 1.5 times your weight in kg (could be 100g or so).

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

califsleevin
on 4/21/16 12:30 pm - CA

My standard for protein is 100-105g per day, which is about what is needed to maintain my 150ish lb of lean mass. That works out to about 20% of my typical dietary needs, though that can change depending upon need - post op from plastics, for instance, takes the protein up into the 140-150 range to handle the trauma while calories may drop down to the 16-1700 range to account for lowered activity levels while recovering.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

DiaMon
on 4/19/16 8:05 pm
VSG on 03/12/14

I did peanut butter one in a while when I was in weigh loss mode, but I'd do a teaspoon at most.... In maintenance I do peanut butter at least 5 days a week (once a day) and I still stick to the teaspoon. I rather curb my passion of peanuts/ peanut butter, but since I have trouble hitting my daily calorie goal I'm ok. It's a learning how to manage kind of thing. ;)

Surgery Date: 3•12•14 HW:264 SW:240 // GOAL WEIGHT 160 lbs REACHED on 08/24/14 REVISED GOAL: 140 

REVISED GOAL REACHED: 01/12/2015 CURRENT WEIGHT: 135 (=

karen98272
on 4/20/16 3:02 pm

PBFit or PB2.....regular Peanut Butter ---once a serious favorite of mine---is a thing of the past...too much fat/ too many useless calories.

PBFit and PB2 are good for me...and good for YOU!

Amy R.
on 4/21/16 9:02 pm

What does your surgeon say?

Most surgeons have a post op eating plan that sometimes extends several weeks.  I wasn't cleared for all foods until week 9.  Some surgeons give their patients carte blanche when they leave the hospital.  I suspect you may be somewhere in between - but I'd start with checking the eating plan you were given.

=)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/22/16 9:26 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

You'd really have to check with your Dr as to when you can start eating pb. What good would it do if some people were cleared to eat it 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 months after surgery when your Dr will  clear you to eat it at some other time?

I totally understand the craving for it though! Really at this point you want to get the most protein for your caloric buck & regular pb sadly doesn't fit the bill. Way to many calories, way too little protein, way too easy to go overboard on it. You'll have to look for alternatives to satisfy you.

I've never tried pb2 or some of the other powdered pb, but that looks like the way to go. It looks like its made with water so you'll avoid alot of the calories while still getting the pb. I have tried the chocolate powdered pb by Chike. 1 serving is 40 calories, 1g of fat, 4 carbs & 5g of protein, not bad in my opinion. The regular pb has 6g of protein.

Slider foods is easy to go overboard on, so be careful! 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

diane S.
on 4/24/16 11:47 am

avoid pb. i never ate it during weight loss.  when i lost too much weight its what i ate to stop losing. now i gain if i eat it.  beware of pb.  diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics