Turmeric Question???

thallnc
on 4/18/16 6:25 am - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

I have started doing some research on the health benefits of Turmeric. I was just wondering if anyone takes this supplement and what benefits you have found while taking it. I'm getting ready to start working out with a personal trainer and Turmeric is suppose to be a good alternative for an anti-inflammatory and helps with joint pain. I guess I'm just wondering if/how it's absorbed for someone that has had VSG surgery. I would love you hear your thoughts and/or experience.

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

happyteacher
on 4/18/16 7:03 am

I took it for quite a while for antiinflammatory reasons. It can be hard on the stomach though, so discontinued.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/18/16 9:15 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The medical use of turmeric is questionable at best.

The "14 drugs" website recommends that everyone:

use certified organic (non-irradiated) turmeric in lower culinary doses on a daily basis so that heroic doses won't be necessary later in life after a serious disease sets in.

There is no evidence to support any part of that recommendation. And the scientific evidence for turmeric is insufficient to incorporate it into medical practice. As with so many supplements, the hype has gone way beyond the actual evidence. There are some promising hints that it may be useful, but there are plenty of promising hints that lots of other things "may" be useful too.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

thallnc
on 4/18/16 12:32 pm - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

Thank you so much for this information. I will definitely take a look at this.

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

Dorothy5466
on 7/18/16 11:34 pm
On April 18, 2016 at 1:25 PM Pacific Time, thallnc wrote:

I have started doing some research on the health benefits of Turmeric. I was just wondering if anyone takes this supplement and what benefits you have found while taking it. I'm getting ready to start working out with a personal trainer and Turmeric is suppose to be a good alternative for an anti-inflammatory and helps with joint pain. I guess I'm just wondering if/how it's absorbed for someone that has had VSG surgery. I would love you hear your thoughts and/or experience.

I've used turmeric for joint inflammation for a couple of years now. I suffer from a long term lower back pain and have stopped taking the heavy dosage medicines prescribed by my doctor and I find that the turmeric appears to be a much better alternative. I take a spoon of turmeric, add some black pepper for better absorption on the body, mix it with some smoothies and olive oil, make it into a paste and apply it on the back where I experience the pain. It's pretty difficult to get whole turmeric. I buy it from horton spice mills (http://www.hortonspicemills.com/listing.php?pid=69 ).  

Most Active
Recent Topics