Protein Shakes - Yay or Nay?

WL-Warrior
on 4/16/16 9:56 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

Hello all,

This is my very first forum entry EVER and it feels like there is so many questions to ask. I'm scheduled for VSG on 04/20/2016 and I have a couple of pre-op classes to attend the day before.

I've seen a lot of YouTube VSG videos and mostly everyone talks about protein shakes. My Bariatric team has not mentioned ANYTHING about having to drink shakes after the surgery. My hospital believes that all protein intake should come from your meals rather than a shake but my question is this: How will I take in protein if I'm in my 1-3 week post-op status? Clear liquids is all I'll be able to take so where's the protein intake in that?

Thank you in advance for reading this and responding!

luvmypuggies
on 4/16/16 11:16 pm

Welcome, and congrats on your upcoming surgery!

Most people rely on protein shakes to get enough protein during the first couple of months or longer.  It's not typically used during the clear liquid phase, but that's usually just the first week or so.  I use Premier Protein shakes, which are pre-mixed ready-to-drink, and available by the case at Costco.  There are many options out there, bu****ch the carbs on some brands.

Getting protein from food is ideal, but not always realistic with our tiny capacity, especially during the first few months.  Go ahead and ask about this during your pre-op class - I'm sure they'll have some specific suggestions for you.

cappy11448
on 4/17/16 5:16 am

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you find it as informative and supportive as I have.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery.  My program also wanted us to get back to regular food as soon as possible after surgery, but the first few weeks, you do need to limit your intake to clear and then full liquids.  I couldn't tolerate sweet drinks after surgery, so I relied on chicken broth with unflavored protein powder mixed in.  This was my staple for the first month, and then a supplement until I could get enough protein thru my meals - I think that took about 6 months!

I also mixed unflavored protein powder into anything I could stir - sugar-free jello and puddings, cream of veggie soups, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.  I always made my protein numbers which is important for healing.

Best wishes with your weight loss journey.  Its not easy, but the results are so worth it.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Maria27
on 4/17/16 6:12 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Sometimes what our team thinks is best doesn't work for us. It is so easy for them to say that they want you to do things a certain way, but they really have no idea what it's like to actually adapt to post-op life. For example, my team is adamant that I always eat breakfast, no excuses, but eating food before 10 or 11 am makes me want to vomit. Instead, I drink a protein shake for breakfast. My team doesn't like it, but it works for me. Part of post-op life is learning what rules are important to follow (i.e., don't drink with food, eat protein) and which ones are opinions that don't work for everyone (i.e., number of meals per day, amount of carbs). Protein is essential for healing and to avoid loosing muscle mass, so I say drink protein shakes if that what it takes to reach your protein goals. Is it better to get protein from food? Sure, but that is not always realistic. They are giving you the first best option, so maybe you should ask them what their second best option is.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/17/16 8:31 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Hi & Welcome to the forum! Congrats on choosing wls. The first couple of weeks after surgery you'll be better off with the protein shakes. My program had me going thru the stages from liquids, to puree, soft foods, then all foods. During this time you'll be healing & pushing yourself too fast or too quickly won't help you at all.

You should probably talk to your team & find out what stages in your program will you be following after surgery & for how long.Also ask why do you have to be on all clear liquids after surgery, that limits the protein powders probably to the unflavored ones. for 3 weeks? 

I think I was on all foods about 6 weeks after surgery. Weighing, tracking & measuring will be especially important since nerves will be cut & you probably won't feel any restriction.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

happyteacher
on 4/19/16 5:57 am

Isopure counts as clear liquid- at least the RTD type that I get. Not sure what the different iterations there are of Isopure. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

soontobe_blondegodd
ess

on 4/18/16 11:37 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Hi,

Premier protein shakes at costco are my lifesaver.  There are times you can't make lunch or breakfast and you can grab and go.  Just make sure it is 30 grams of protein.  Also Fage - plain greek yogurt - 20 grams of protein.  

I reply on shakes as a meal replacement if i can not get a real meal in.  I hope this helps and congrats on your big day!

happyteacher
on 4/19/16 5:55 am

Personally, I think it would be borderline impossible in those early weeks to get your protein in without supplementing. My first 4 weeks I even found protein shakes to be too heavy, and used Isopure (drinks more like koolaid) instead. And I have a large sleeve!  I tracked religiously during my weight loss phase and well into maintaining, and there was a crystal clear pattern- days where breakfast was a shake were the days with the lowest calories and making my protein target. Days where I skipped the shake resulted in higher calories and more likely to be low in protein. I am four years out, and still keep them on hand, especially when I am working. I think most of us would agree here that you should not be enslaved to protein shakes and use them as your sole source, but it is a huge tool in the arsenal of strategies most of us use to make it to goal and maintain even. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics