Considering WLS - Round 2

Cobini
on 4/16/16 7:33 am
Good morning!

I'm a long-time lurker.

I was on the path to surgery a few years back and had a severe bout of GERD just prior to surgery. I'd gained a considerable amount of weight in the few months prior and feel like this was a major contributor. That, and a I have a hiatal hernia.

Anyway, due to the GERD my surgeon recommended RNY. I'd always been set on VSG, so I stuggled greatly with wrapping my head around having RNY. I just know it's not for me. I tried to be okay with it, but just couldn't get there.

So, at the last minute, I decided not to have surgery at all. Once again I was going to pursue other methods of weight loss - this time it was medically monitored ketosis. Of course, I lost weight. And, I then proceeded to gain it back.

I've done this twice in the last 3.5 years (lather, rinse, repeat).

So, here I am again on the road to WLS. My consultation with the surgeon is this Thursday.

I know this is what I need to be successful in keeping off the weight. But I'm a little anxious. Admittedly, the permanence and potential complications scare me a little.

Not sure why I'm posting, except I greatly appreciate this site and the many contributors - especially those that have been around for years. It's been a great help to me in working through this decision and with knowing what to expect.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/16/16 8:09 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I also had GERD and a hiatal hernia.  I had a VSG and the surgeon repaired my hernia at the same time.  Like you, I had thought about WLS in the past but was not comfortable with it until I read about VSG.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Cobini
on 4/16/16 1:46 pm
Thanks you. I do hope you don't have to deal with GERD again in the future. VSG really does make me more comfortable with the idea of WLS compared to other options. I hope it's a suitable option for me. We'll see...
T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/16/16 9:44 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Well hello & Welcome to the forum!

Ahh the diet rollercoaster, I'd been on that ride 1 time too many & had to get off. Do as much research as possible. You probably already know that the vsg can make gerd worse so do listen to whatever your surgeon says. Complications can happen with any wls, so don't be afraid of the rny thinking that the vsg is the way to go.

I also had gerd, but it was very, very light & most likely caused by the hiatal hernia that was found on my endoscopy test & repaired at surgery. If your heart is set on the vsg listen to the surgeon as to what is best for you. Tell him your fears about the rny & hopefully he can put you at ease.

Go to the other forums like the rny & vsg, plenty of vets, newbies & everyone in between that'd be willing to help.

Hope you have a great weekend too!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Cobini
on 4/16/16 1:43 pm
You're totally right about the research. I understand incidence rates of GERD are statistically higher than with other surgery options and that RNY can resolve GERD. I also understand the long-term issues with GERD, some of them very serious. I have it again right now, but I'm convinced that it has a lot to do with my recent weight gain (20 lbs this year). When I am at this weight, I tend to have issues. Outside of that, it's been rare and typically due to a larger meal.

Part of the reason I don't want the RNY is that I've had to have prolonged treatment with very large doses of prednisone in the past for severe allergic reactions (bad enough that I ended up with 2nd degree burns from the inside out caused by a perfume) and can't be without that option.

I feel caught between a rock and a hard place...

I'll definitely talk to the surgeon and see what he says.

Thanks again for your note.

BTW - and I know this shouldn't matter - but you look fabulous...beautiful and healthy.
Gwen M.
on 4/16/16 7:27 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Prednisone shouldn't be a problem with RNY - only NSAIDs, and NSAIDs shouldn't be taken with VSG either.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics