Pressure canning meats- any vets who can field a few questions?

happyteacher
on 4/14/16 10:33 am

My new kitchen gadget disease item is a pressure canner, as I want to put up my own chicken stock and a few other items to save on precious freezer space. I am contemplating when making this stock with whole chickens removing the meat, and canning that separately. My thought is that I would have fully cooked protein for quick additions to recipes like soups, chicken salad, etc. Is this just gross? Are there texture issues? I am also considering canning my own chili, as I can't stand anything store bought- same questions with the chili. Can you use the pressure canner to do jams? We currently put up our own jams using the boiling water method, but the pressure canner can be stacked with jars saving a ton of processing time- will that work? Can you recommend a good recipe book? I know, a ton of questions but hopefully someone out there has a tad bit of experience!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Dee R.
on 4/14/16 11:14 am - CA

I'm curious about this too.  LOVE my pressure cooker!!!

happyteacher
on 4/14/16 12:55 pm

Hi Dee,

Just to clarify, I am referring to a pressure canner and NOT a pressure cooker. They are different animals. You cannot use a pressure cooker to do home canning of anything, unless you of course plan on eating it within the normal guidelines of use. Pressure cookers do not hit the temperatures needed to mimic canning using the boiling water method or pressure canner method. 

Now a pressure canner, on the other hand, can be used to put up vegatables, meat, seafood,- items with a lower PH. Items with a higher PH (jams, tomatos, etc.) are typically put up using the boiling water method, which is safe due to the higher acid level. The pressure canner can be used as a pressure cooker though to make meals and such. They tend to be enormous though, so a little overkill for that purpose. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Dee R.
on 4/14/16 2:12 pm - CA

I totally understand that.  I should have continued in saying that if it can all be done, I'm getting a pressure canner too!  Thanks! 

happyteacher
on 4/15/16 7:36 am

Yes- looking back on my years of canning, transitioning into stove top pressure cookers, then electric pressure cookers, and now pressure canners...  I would have saved an absolute fortune had I simply gone with a high quality canner model. Although I just bought a 23 quart model, you can buy them much smaller. This way, small enough to use daily and keep in a kitchen cupboard, but still able to can. I know my 10 quart cooker is about as big as I would want to go for a daily use option, but likely a canner might need to be a tad bigger. Sams Club offers a very good price on a pressure canner, and that particular model is heirloom quality- your grandchildren will be using it. 

Kris R.
on 4/14/16 11:36 am - Walworth, NY

That's a great idea because the amount of food I toss out is sickening.  Off topic, I have started using the leftover proteins for my dog's treats.  She loves them and it makes me not feel as bad - especially with 2 teenagers - one never knows who will be home for dinner until after dinner is over :)..

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

happyteacher
on 4/14/16 12:57 pm

Waste- that is exactly why I am pursing this. Since my older two no longer live at home we are throwing out a sickening amount of food. Many of my recipes only call for a few ounces of chicken stock, or perhaps I am making myself something and only need a few ounces of chicken. My freezer just can't take anymore :( Added bonus of not having to thaw or risk freezer burn too!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 4/14/16 1:16 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Why not vacuum seal it? I dont know the specifics behind pressure canning and proteins, but vacuum seal for longevity would be fine?

happyteacher
on 4/14/16 6:08 pm

We do vacuum seal, but that does not make it shelf stable. It requires either refridgeration or freezing. My freezer is jammed constantly, so it would be much easier for us to can. 

Scarletstitches
on 4/14/16 8:52 pm

I've done a pretty fair amount of canning over the years. Your best bet is to get official canning recipes from  your state extension office. You can google it and find researched safe directions and recipes with the correct times and pressures. With low acid foods like meats and vegetables especially, botulism is a major concern, and can make you horrendously ill or dead before food tastes or looks off. Following the researched directions carefully keeps you and your family safe. Dire warnings aside, you can absolutely can damn near anything stocks and meats included. I've never tried doing jams and high acids in the pressure canner, always used boiling water method for that. Your extension office should have a number you can call for advice and I'm pretty sure that the Ball company (that makes the jars) has a help line as well. 

Good luck! Let us know how things turn out!

Most Active
Recent Topics