Will I need help one week after VSG???

hollykim
on 4/12/16 4:03 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 12, 2016 at 8:36 PM Pacific Time, intothesunshine wrote:

hi everyone... I am scheduled to have my VSG on April 21 (yaaaa & I'm scared) but my husband is a fireman and will be gone 6 days post-op for 36 hours and we have an active toddler - - should I call for reinforcements?  or will I be OK? how were all of you feeling 6 days out? the only frame of reference I have is my C-section & 6 days out I was still in lots of pain and useless...

thank you for any tips - - also what helped you the most after?? 

you will totally need help with your baby. You won't be able to lift over 10 pounds for six weeks

seabexlose
on 4/12/16 4:05 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

I have a three, nearly 4 year old and we flew in a relative to stay with us for two weeks while I'm off work.  I was actually surprised to hear that I don't have lift restrictions, but I'm going to plan to just take it easy anyway.  Even more than the physical stuff, I was worried how I would be emotionally and my energy level. It just takes some of the pressure off.  Good luck to you!

luvmypuggies
on 4/12/16 4:28 pm

In addition to what others have said, remember that this is still major surgery and your body needs to rest to heal as well as possible.  I had a super easy recovery and felt great at 6 days out but even so, I got tired a lot and took naps for a couple of weeks.  I can't imagine chasing after an active toddler!  Good luck!! 

healthymekg
on 4/13/16 5:41 am

I agree, given you have a toddler, I would ask for some help. I had an active 22 month old when I had surgery and he didn't understand that mommy couldn't lift him or run around and play for a few weeks so between my husband and mom they took care of giving baths, lifting him into high chair, car seat etc.   I also had a C-section and I think the pain from the VSG was significantly less. 

Good luck!  I'm so excited for you, I am only 9.5 weeks out, but I can already tell you this is the best decision I have ever made for myself! :)  My biggest tip is don't forget to sip, sip, sip water and walk walk walk! :) 

intothesunshine
on 4/13/16 5:46 am

Thank you so much....ok, I will call for help, he is 3 and 50 pounds and loves to be held so I am sure it will be a tough adjustment for him...

9.5 weeks and you are happy - GREAT... thank you for the POSITIVE FEEDBACK......  & GOOD luck to you too.

Most Active
Recent Topics