Surgery before or after vacation?

Brooke O.
on 4/12/16 11:51 am
VSG on 05/25/16

Hello everyone.  I'm new to this site, and looking for advice.  I've begun the process of appointments in preparation for the Sleeve.  It looks like I will be wrapped up shortly, and able to schedule surgery in May.  However I have a vacation to Disney planned with my family in July.  I was planning on doing the surgery after the vacation, however most of my Doctors say I should be fine if there is 6 weeks between the surgery and vacation.

Does anyone have any thoughts on flying, swimming and going on rides 6 weeks after surgery?  That coupled with the hot, humid Orlando summer and the threat of dehydration have me leaning towards waiting until after my vacation.

hollykim
on 4/12/16 1:26 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 12, 2016 at 6:51 PM Pacific Time, bcarrig1217 wrote:

Hello everyone.  I'm new to this site, and looking for advice.  I've begun the process of appointments in preparation for the Sleeve.  It looks like I will be wrapped up shortly, and able to schedule surgery in May.  However I have a vacation to Disney planned with my family in July.  I was planning on doing the surgery after the vacation, however most of my Doctors say I should be fine if there is 6 weeks between the surgery and vacation.

Does anyone have any thoughts on flying, swimming and going on rides 6 weeks after surgery?  That coupled with the hot, humid Orlando summer and the threat of dehydration have me leaning towards waiting until after my vacation.

I would wait until after. There is a very real learning curve with new eating habits.

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/12/16 2:24 pm, edited 4/12/16 7:24 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I'm at 4 weeks and last night joined a fitness group.  I feel pretty darn good compared to weeks 2 and 3.  I can eat rather normally and while easily finding food at a theme park could be a challenge I'd just look that up before you leave.  I know Disney puts up the menus online to all of their restaurants.  As long as you can find places that sell chicken salad sandwiches, tacos, normal salads, and such you'll be fine.  You can just re-arrange the food into what you can eat.  Such as toss the bread on sandwiches, eat the insides of the tacos, and toss out the bulk of any salad and eat the meat and cheese.  As far as water, I wasn't able to drink much weeks 1-3 but oddly enough durn the move from week 3-4 I've been far more capable of drinking more normally such as how I used to.  I can't just house a drink but I don't have to sip sip sip everything.  I can drink normally about 3-4oz easily, and then wait about 2-3mins and then do it again.  I have to time it with how fas****er leaves my stomach but if I drink normally, and wait a bit in between I can drink enough to stay hydrated for a day and for a fitness class or long walk.  

Last night I did some normal fitness stretches, some yoga poses mixed with lunges and such, and then a 20min power walk.  I walked it almost as fast as I did when I walk for the 5ks I do.  So I'm almost back to normal.  Now with this said I was more tired because of the 4 previous weeks of going from laying in bed mostly, to couch surfing, to working most of the day, to finally going back to work and doing my normal schedule.  So my stamina isn't up to full force, meaning I can go just as much as I used to but certainly not for the long haul.  I do get tired and need to take a break, or after a 1/2 shopping trip I came home and took a short nap when I got home which is very unusual for me.  

So if you want to still do things as planned. I'd think about your current health, can you do a full day at Disney now?  If you can then you probably will be able to at 6 weeks if you work hard at walking, and doing some little workouts to build up your stamina.  Look up restaurants for foods that you think you'll be eating at that time.  I'm able to eat most things now so I think for me at least it wouldn't be too hard as long as I had a plan.  Also do plan for down time such as planing to do the park, but then go watch a show, do some more park and then maybe plan for you to go back to the hotel for a couple hours during the middle of the day to lay down, cool down, and drink some fluids.

For comparison I'm 39, in reasonably good shape as far as I have no issues with knees or back.  I am able to complete walking a 5k in about 50 mins.  I am a bit of a donkey and when I set my mind to something I find a way to make it happen, so I'd not let surgery stand in my way of having a great time at the park.  Also you might be down some weight which will help with your mobility.  

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Brooke O.
on 4/13/16 7:06 am
VSG on 05/25/16

Thank You for your feedback.  I'm really glad to hear that you've having such success after your sleeve.

My current health is okay, and I would have no problem walking around Disney all day, right now.  I'm 34 and in reasonably good shape and have no co-morbid conditions, so I would have no problem in Disney right now.  I'm mainly getting the surgery as a pre-emptive attempt to ward off future co-morbid conditions and make sure I live a long healthy life.  I want to be around to see my 15 month old daughter grow up and I want to teach her the healthy habits that I am developing. :)

I think that I would be okay after the surgery, but being the worrier that I am, and given the feedback from the other commenters, I think it may be best for me to hold off until July. 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/12/16 4:28 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I agree with Holly.  Physically you will probably feel fine, but wrapping around your new eating habits takes some time.  Depending on what type of progression your surgeon recommends after surgery, you might not want to deal with schlepping around protein shakes to Disney.

IMHO, I would recommend having surgery after your vacation.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/12/16 6:09 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I'd wait till after vacation. There is definitely a learning curve after surgery & while I don't want to de a Debbie downer you could run into complications or it could take you longer to heal after surgery. It could be smooth sailing after surgery too but what if it isn't? You might need that time to get your strength back.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

LosinginAZ
on 4/12/16 7:42 pm

I think either way you would probably be ok. The hardest part about going 6 weeks after surgery is you will still be eating special foods (at least I was) and that isn't always easy to d at a theme park. Definitely stay on top of your water drinking though, that is the most important :)

Have fun!!

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

GoBlueGirl1998
on 4/13/16 4:53 am - MI

Weigh out the pros and cons. I had no problem adjusting post op to eating and I found it easy to accommodate my new eating plan. I tailgated the weeks following surgery and I traveled one month post op as I was a bridesmaid in a wedding. I had no issues! My energy also surged post op. I see some valid point for waiting, but I didn't have any issues. Good luck with surgery and enjoy your vacation!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

MissNexxie
on 4/13/16 6:38 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I'd suggest waiting until after vacation. As other posters have stated there is a significant learning curve with food plus you cannot know how your recovery will go. My energy levels were low for several months after surgery and I wasn't dealing with excessive heat and humidity and long days on my feet. Dehydration and getting proper protein early on are critical.  

Enjoy your vacation then have surgery and don't schedule anything major after surgery so that you can solely focus on recovery at whatever pace your body dictates. Good luck!

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Brooke O.
on 4/13/16 7:11 am
VSG on 05/25/16

Thank You all for your feedback.  Being that I am in decent physical shape right now and would be able to walk around Disney just fine in my current condition, I think I will wait until after vacation for the surgery.  The only real reason I wanted to have it earlier is because I'm so anxious and excited to get it done.  However but being the worrier that I am, and given the feedback from the other commenters, I think it may be best for me to hold off until July. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics