Sleeve and M.D.D.

Giggles7840
on 4/12/16 7:21 am
VSG on 05/19/16

Has anyone with Massive Depressive Disorder had the sleeve and noticed if there mood disorder improved or got worse after the sleeve once the ghrelin is removed? I'm concerned about changing up my hormones and making my mood worse. My therapist has said that everyone she has worked with, she has noticed an improvement with their mood disorders but wanted to see if anyone out here can share what they have noticed.

happyteacher
on 4/12/16 9:07 am

I cannot speak directly to M.D.D. However, when I had my sleeve done I was in a pretty dark place and at the psych eval was told my test results pointed to depression. Post vsg, 100% turnaround no question. I think a key difference though is that I was dealing with being diagnosed with cancer and diabeties, and deteriorating health issues that were impacting my daily life and it was out of my control so to speak. The surgery leveled the playing field so I could take back my health, which also resulted in significantly improved mood and general outlook. The other caveat is that in those early weeks when you lose fairly quickly those fat cells (in theory) start dumping a lot of hormoes, and it is fairly common to see posters go through a phase where they are weepy, irritable, etc. So, brace yourself for that potentially- but once through it I would have to agree with your therapist. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics