The distinction I didn't want - feeling down and out

LosingLola
on 4/12/16 6:24 am

Thank you so much - that is really great to hear!

Lululu
on 4/12/16 3:20 am
VSG on 03/27/16

I am soooooo sorry to hear that and wish you to get better soon 

i just wondering what was the symptoms, how did you know about it?? what did you feel?? And what was your diet look like during that time??

your answers will draw a light and rase awareness for all of us sleevers. 

Thank you and wish to get better very very soon. 

LosingLola
on 4/12/16 6:23 am

Thank you! I didn't have any of the pain or fevers most commonly associated with a leak. My issue has been constant nausea since around the start of week 2 (even with anti-nausea meds). I contacted my surgeon mid-way through week 2 to let him know and he moved me  to a stronger PPI hoping that would help. Unfortunately, I had to contact him a couple of days later to let him know that it was worse and I was now vomiting even the smallest bit of water. From the beginning, I haven't been able to get in anywhere close to my fluid targets and wasn't even able to really try with protein. My surgeons plan has us on no pre-op diet, just liquids only and bowel prep the day before surgery. For the first week, liquids only (non-clear protein shakes are okay during week 1). Week 2 is puréed foods, and week 3 starts soft solids. The goal is to start introducing "normal" foods after the week 6 checkup. 

LosingLola
on 4/17/16 12:13 am

Diet-wise, I had just graduated from puréed to soft foods, though I didn't delve too much into the soft foods. I was really focused on trying to get in water and failing because of the nausea, that I would only try maybe 2-3 bites of one thing a day. Protein shakes were attempted, but I could only tolerate a couple ounces a day. Symptoms were pretty bad dehydration, nausea, and eventually I started dry heaving and vomitting. I never had pain or fevers. I thought the issue might just be crazy-bad swelling or a structure. I never even suspected  a leak and neither did my surgeon. We only found out what it was because of the CT scan. 

happyteacher
on 4/12/16 3:24 am

I am so very sorry to read you are having complications, but glad to read that it is caught and sounding like succussfully treated. I have been on the boards for 5 years or so, and the few that post about having leaks also post (further down the road) that even with dealing with all of that crazy they would still do it again. I would imagine at the moment it wouldn't feel like that at all though. Sending good karma your way and I hope the next CT scan brings good news. Hang in there.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

LosingLola
on 4/12/16 6:24 am

Thank you! I can't imagine right now feeling that I would go through this again, but I do hope that changes in the future. 

breathemusic
on 4/12/16 11:42 am

First leak buddies! high five

But seriously, that's awful!  I was in the same boat with my surgeon though, his first leak ever and it wasn't discovered until 5 weeks out when I landed in the hospital in serious pain, it was microscopic, etc.  They put in a drain (insanely painful insertion because of where the drain ran across some nerves) and I was on TPN for almost a month and could do nothing but rarely eat ice chips to wet my mouth for that entire time!

I'd STILL do it all over again if I had to go back in time, cause the surgery was still worth it now that I'm at goal weight.  After missing a week or so of work I eventually got into a rhythm and I was just carting my TPN backpack to work and it was life.  Sadly, you'll get used to it, but it really will get better!  And you might feel like you regret the surgery now, but I'll bet once all that weight has been lost and you can do so many things that you could do before, you'll have a different opinion.

Regardless, it does suck right now and I hope that you feel better soon and have a speedy recovery!

LosingLola
on 4/17/16 12:18 am

Thank you so much for this! Gosh, do I have questions for you!!  If you don't mind sharing, how slowly did you reintroduce foods? My surgeon has me starting liquids on Monday and said protein shakes are okay. My plan is to start very slowly with water, since I still have the TPN. Head hunger is real for me now, and I am no longer sickened by the sight of food so this week has been a bit tougher. Were you weaned slowly from the TPN? The plan now appears to be for me to continue it until the end of the month. Fortunately, he has me off wor****il May 9th because I can't imagine where you found the energy to do that with all this going on. I went shopping at Target today and it seriously drained me!

breathemusic
on 4/18/16 4:46 am

Does your surgeon have you doing a leak test to verify that the leak is healed closed before you reintroduce foods? We did a test eith me after about a week and the stupid leak STILL wasn't quite healed, which is why he put me on TPN for about 4 weeks. He didn't want it to have just healed and then put pressure on the recently healed hole with food and risk reopening it. I didn't start drinking and reintroducing food until the last few days of my treatment, and that was just to make sure my stomach would tolerate food after going so long with nothing. But basically he had me start over from scratch but slightly accelerated. First time around I was 2 weeks of liquids (including protein shakes) then 2 weeks of soft foods, etc. This time he had me do a week of each step. I still only sipped very small amounts for the first week since I was paranoid, but didn't end up having any issues. Finally being able to drink water again after a month was like heaven! 

LosingLola
on 4/18/16 6:16 am

They had me drink contrast solution for the CT scan, so I guess that was the leak test?  It was all clear, as was was the upper-GI from before I left the hospital. From what they have said, it actually healed before I was admitted to the hospital but there may have been an abscess near the collection that was making me feel so badly. My doctor hasn't said what his plan is for reintroducing foods is yet, just to start on liquids today and then touch-base with him on Friday. I am so looking forward to putting this nightmare behind me!

Most Active
Recent Topics