New too this -- and a bit concerned....

happyteacher
on 4/12/16 3:33 am

Don't spend energy second guessing yourself- this is a life-changing surgery and the improvement in the quality of your life and health is immense!!!!  I was fortunate, as it only took 3 months. I needed:

-initial consult

-waived sleep study due to being married to a guy that worked in a sleep study and doc was OK with using his word for saying no apnea. I also used to work in a sleep lab so even though I didn't have a proper study, if you have ever slept with an apneac (or in our cases watched a thousand people with apnea sleep) you know. 

-psych eval

-nutrition appointments

-exercise consult

-waived scan to determine fat percentage (cancer patient, I didn't want the extra radiation)

-surgeon appointment(s)

-stress test

-attended support group meetings (not required, but highly encouraged)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

simmzg
on 4/12/16 7:43 am - Canada

Thank you all soo much for the feedback and information! 

I am not on any specific medical insurance....but the surgery is covered under the government medical where I live so I am unsure of how different the rules are with everything I need to do prior to surgery. Because its covered under government medical, that is why there is a year wait to see the surgeon.

I do know I have to do a sleep study, I am already waiting for an appointment for that right now but I know I don't have sleep apnea. But thats all I know I have to before surgery so far. 

breathemusic
on 4/12/16 12:32 pm

I'm guessing that there is some sort of 800 number for the Gov't health care service that you can call and find out what the requirements are to be covered, so definitely start there.  It's goo that you're already moving forward with the sleep study, but if the medical requires you to have a dr. supervised diet for a certain amount of time, it's better to know that so that you can have that set up with your primary as well.

As for the surgeon, do you have to use that particular surgeon because of the gov't medical?  Do you have options?  It may take a while to get in to see him, but you could probably still call the office and speak to someone there about if he requires anything, or if their office already knows what your medical plan requires and can outline it for you.

Knowing all of that will also help you to better plan financially.  It's good to know if you'll have a copay, or if you'll have copays for all of the other prerequisite appointments, etc.

Most Active
Recent Topics