Challenges Eating 5 wks post

LucyR
on 4/10/16 9:44 am
VSG on 03/03/16

My dr wants me to get 90g protein a day and 75 oz of water.  Anyone else out there have these goals?  I know every dr is different but would like to have an idea of what other people are doing.  

I am struggling to meet the protein requirements.  Seems I am eating or drinking all day.   If I get busy at work for a couple hours, then no way I can meet this goal.  

So with the meals, my biggest issue is getting in more than 2 ounces.  Also, I don't get a nice full feel like I use to before VSG.  It is more of an uncomfortable, nothing else will fit, feeling.  Do you ever feel comfortably satisfied again after VSG?

If I push to eat or drink, I get non-stop burping, but it does go away once everything moves on through.  

Breakfast:  1 egg with 1/4 c egg beaters.  Can only eat half

Lunch: 2 (but try for 3) ounces of deli meat, a small cottage cheese, or greek yogurt

Dinner:  2 (but try for 3) ounces of some sort of protein

Just started adding two additional snacks to try and hit my protein.  

At most I am getting in 50 g protein through food so have to drink the rest.  Most days I am at 500 calories.  Does this get easier?  

Good part is I have lost 19 pounds in 5 weeks.  Not a ton but still very pleased.  

Paula1965
on 4/10/16 10:35 am
VSG on 04/01/15

Protein shakes as snacks really help me make my protein goals

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

BeautifulMe84
on 4/10/16 10:41 am
VSG on 03/10/16

I'm almost 5 weeks out myself and I hit 70g of protein if not more. In the morning I drink Premier Protein shake that has 30g of protein...that's a lot! An hour later I'll slowly take in a yogurt that has about 12g of protein. I try to get my fluids in 30 mins before my mini meals and 30mins after. I'm lucky if I get 64oz of water in daily...I am still working on that. I tend to snack on turkey deli meats and cheeses. String cheese is good protein so is jerky. Animal protein is always good and has a good amount of protein in it. Do you like meatballs? I buy them frozen and heat them up with a little sauce and sprinkle cheese over and it is delish! Hang in there...you will get it all in soon.

LosinginAZ
on 4/10/16 1:32 pm

Try adding in a protein shake everyday. They are an easy way to get in the protein you need. I totally felt like you. After surgery, while I was home recovering, I could not sleep in because I had to get up early to start drinking water. Water drinking has become a job now, but it is what my body needs. It will get easier! Oh and 19 pounds is awesome! Be proud of that for sure :) 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

Daelcare
on 4/10/16 2:16 pm - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

I added protein to my water...double blessing!  There are some good ones out there...the one I had tasted a lot like Mountain Dew and had 23 gms of protein. A Premier protein shake and one of those and you're over half way to your goal before noon!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

AlanaHolt4
on 4/10/16 7:19 pm, edited 4/10/16 12:19 pm

Daelcare

Where do you get the protein that you add to your water? What is it called? Does it have a lot of suger in it?

Thanks

Alana

Daelcare
on 4/11/16 5:24 am - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

I got it from Bariatric Advantage at the time, but I don't see it this morning on their website.  It was called Pro-Stat and it is sugar-free, 100 calories per ounce and 15gms of protein per ounce.  An ounce, for me, mixed into a 32 oz bottle of water really well.  I noticed that Nutricia has it online.  Good luck!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

AlanaHolt4
on 4/11/16 8:09 pm

Thank you! I will look for it

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/16 5:17 pm

First, congrats on your weight loss! That's fantastic!

I've been around for a while, so I'm just going to call it like I see it....

MOST NEW POST OPS CAN IN NO WAY MANAGE 60, 80, 100 GRAMS OF PROTEIN PER DAY WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF PROTEIN SHAKE SUPPLEMENTATION! 

If your program is one of those that discourages, forbids, or scorns drinking calories in any form, I can't and won't advise you to go against your program's recommendations. However, these programs in my mind are pretty unsympathetic to what a new post op goes through to get food in. My surgeon was one of those NEVER DRINK CALORIES after your post op liquid and soft food stage. I fought with him tooth and nail on that. I won out in the end, and guess what? He changed his program to include 2 protein shakes per day as needed until all weight was lost. 

There is no way on Earth that I could have made my protein goal early out without shakes. I still start every single day with a protein shake. It's how I get in all the protein I need. I've got good restriction 4+ years out so, unless I eat all f'ing day long, I'd never get enough protein. 

Full feeling: I'm like you. I lost my full feeling with VSG. I have never gotten it back and that is one thing I miss about my pre VSG eating. I'll be honest about it. I have no shame about it. I miss that feeling. There are those who firmly believe that we must never aim for "full" because that's what got us to obese. Well, frankly, I miss that feeling of mild fullness and satisfaction that I used to feel. It was my signal that I had had enough. (Very different from the over full I felt when I went off the rails!) I don't particularly love that now I go from feeling "unfull" to uncomfortable in a single bite or two. Because of this I eat very carefully and mindfully now. Some people get that satisfied "full" feeling back or never lose it. I'm just not one of them. 

LucyR
on 4/10/16 6:12 pm
VSG on 03/03/16

Appreciate everyone's comments.  

I know I am a recent post op, but hope someday eating does get a little easier.  I do miss the feeling of being satisfied when I have a meal.  Glad someone else does as well. 

I am allowed protein drinks and will look for one with more protein.  Been using fruit drinks that have 15 g of protein.  Takes 3-4 a day now with the food to reach 90 grams.  After being on liquids for a month, pretty sick of them.  But know it will be worth it.  

Most Active
Recent Topics