Newbie Here

Jenb1202
on 4/9/16 5:21 pm

I wrote a bunch about myself in the "About Me" section of my profile.  I jumped through my final hoop Thursday with my endoscopy and have VSG scheduled for 4/26/16.  My highest weight was 326; my weight at my first bariatric appointment was 307; my weight this past weekend was 284.  I'm drinking at least one protein shake most days and have returned to riding my exercise bike (recumbent).  I have arthritis, fibromyalgia, severe GERD, hypertension, high cholesterol, as well as a number of co-morbid conditions.

Being 44 and on disability for depression, I'm scared that my metabolism has been slowed down so much by my age and medications that I will lose far less weight than I could otherwise.  How about other 40-somethings?  Has age played a role in your weight loss?  Are there any other women in this age group who have been taking meds and continued on them during their weight-loss process?  It feels like the (IM)perfect storm.

I'm both excited and terrified about the journey I'm embarking on.  I start my all-liquid diet on Tuesday and am trying to fit in some of my favorite foods before then.  Did anyone else go on this "binge" (for lack of a better word) to fit in the foods they may not eat again?

I was introduced to this site yesterday when I had my endoscopy and one of my nurses had WLS, losing 170 lbs with her highest weight being in the mid 300s.  I'm hoping to find some support here and hopefully offer some, too!

kippertoo
on 4/9/16 6:12 pm

Wow, you're off to a great start!  Congrats on your weight loss thus far!  I had my sleeve last Sept. and I'm 54.  I had high cholesterol, high blood pressure, GERD, and depression, too. I was on prescription drugs for all of the above, and now I'm not takings any!!!  There's a lot of freedom and relief that comes with that...it's awesome.

I was soooo nervous to get the surgery, I couldn't concentrate for a week before!  But I talked to a friend who had the bypass surgery and he helped calm my fears.  I was mostly afraid of post-op pain.  But it wasn't that bad for me.  Ive had worse when I have kidney stones!

All in all getting the sleeve was the best decision I made!  My goal was to lose 100 lbs. and I'm 5  pounds away from achieving it!  It's not easy to exercise every day, (stationery bike, treadmill, or elliptical...can't wait for it to stop being so cold so I can walk outside), carrying the extra weight is a lot harder.  I still go to support group at the hospital every month, which really helps.  I highly recommend it if it's offered in your area.

Best of luck to you on your surgery!

HW 265 / SW 222 / CW 170 / VSG 09/24/15 

Jenb1202
on 4/9/16 6:33 pm

Wow!  Thank you so much for your response!  It's so great to know I'm not alone.  I mean, I knew I'd be surrounded by an understanding crew, but it seems like we have so mu*****ommon!  CONGRATULATIONS on those 95 lbs!  And only since September?  That's amazing!

I have a friend who has the bypass and has shared some info which has eased some of my fears, and being with that nurse was a God thing, for sure!  I'm not too afraid of the pain, having had more surgeries than I'd care to think about, including kidney stones more than once.  It's sort of nice to know that the pain isn't even that bad, although I joke around with friends about doing some business work while I'm on pain killers.  Actually the thought of being on none is pretty appealing.  I've had my gall bladder out and a hysterectomy, both laparoscopically.  I have to remind myself that this is major surgery and take the necessary post-op precautions.  I'm concerned about not being able to bend over at the waist.  It's not like I can do squats at this weight, and having to put one of our dogs on a leash every time she goes out concerns me.  We're considering daycare for her, at least at first.

I am not sure what goal weight I should aim for.  I have a dream weight in mind, as well as a "tolerable" weight.  I guess I need to find something in the middle.  Having the recumbent bike at home makes things easier.  I will be doing water aerobics as soon as I'm cleared to be in the pool.  Once I lose some, I should be able to handle gravity and do some walking.  With so many pain conditions, it's virtually impossible as things stand.

Were there any specific post-op restrictions, demands, etc. that you found especially difficult?

Thanks!

kippertoo
on 4/10/16 7:11 pm

I have a savory/salty pallet so all the sweet liquids were kind of tough, but I reminded myself this too will pass, and the pureed food was actually a good phase!  I could enjoy something else beside sugar free chemically enhanced liquids.  I also developed lactose intolerance from the surgery, but it was a mild case, and very easy for me to restrict certain dairy.  And now mostly yogurt is the only thing that really makes my guts talk very loud, but that's all it does.  Thank goodness I work from home!  When I go into the office, I make sure not to pack yogurt...lol.

One other thing bothered me, and continues to, are eggs.  I love eggs!  But after surgery only poached eggs don't give me a bloating feeling.  Any other way prepared and I thought I would explode. But that's me, it may be different for you.

After surgery, whatever you eat, make sure you eat very small portions (I use a deli fork or spoon to this day...it really helps), eat slowly, and, this part is very important, when you start to feel full, stop eating!  You'll think you can shove in a few more spoonfuls, and that mentality got us all in this boat, but your new stomach will not be able to handle it, and it will reject it or will be very painful until it goes through the digestive tract.

Since you have a history with kidney stones, too, make sure you drink lots and lots of water.  64 ounces a day is the very minimum for folks like us.  I was drinking a gallon a day pre-surgery and I'm working my way back to that since my urologist found a new stone a couple weeks ago, thank goodness it's dormant!  I only have one kidney, so I need to be sure to log every time I pour a glass of water, and now I have the log taped to my frig so I can see my progress throughout the day.  With my last glass of the day, I toast to your health!  :)

Jenb1202
on 4/10/16 7:20 pm

Thank you!  I have heard our tastes change after surgery.  I'm hoping that I'll like fish :P  It sure would make life easier!  I've always been a water-drinker, plus I love some of the Crystal Light flavors, so feel very blessed as far as that goes.  I know it's an enormous struggle for so many.  I did go out yesterday and buy a 32-oz insulated cup, so I know I MUST drink two of those a day.  Because it is mega "powerful" I can just put ice chips in it so I'll get a better idea than now, when I just dump the ice if it tastes stale and start over.  I know I'm drinking a lot, but I have heard how vital that 64-oz is.

I sure hope your stone stays dormant.  Those things hurt, right?  I've heard some say that the post-op pain is less than the pain of a kidney stone.  What has your experience been?

Thanks for sharing!

kippertoo
on 4/11/16 5:10 am

I was blessed...no post op pain!  I only had discomfort at the incision sites, and didn't need to take any hydrocodone.  

Penny78213
on 4/13/16 9:54 am - San Antonio, TX
VSG on 12/28/15

Don't know how your taste buds will be post surgery but mine shocked the dickin's out of me.  I have always hated chicken and tolerated most fish but LOVED my beef.  Since my surgery on 2/3/16 I LOVE chicken and fish and can't stand the taste of beef.  The change has sure helped me stay on my diet.  

Oh yeah.. the pain afterwards???  If you have had other surgeries you are going to be surprised at how much less pain there is with this one.  VSG is a cakewalk compared to other major surgeries. 

Good luck and my prayers are with you.  You are going to love your life post VSG.

Penny

Jenb1202
on 4/13/16 11:07 am

Thank you, Penny!  I'm curious how my changing taste buds will play out.  It would be great if I'd start liking fish.  Like you, I am NOT a fan, other than scallops when cooked correctly.

I've had other surgeries done laparoscopically, but they have always been to remove something.  I guess that's my only (minor) concern as far as pain.  The staples are something I've not been through.  But, I was told that I should expect to be on oxy for a very limited time, if at all.  Sounds good to me!  I just want to be able to drive!

Thank you so much for your encouragement! 

Iam_with_the_Band
on 4/11/16 5:03 pm

How is your GERD since getting your sleeve?

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Jenb1202
on 4/13/16 10:49 am

My surgery isn't until 4/26.  They said that I will likely need multiple meds immediately following surgery (I am already on 2; they are adding a 3rd), but that long-term I can expect it to improve, if not totally disappear.

Most Active
Recent Topics