Rough Night Last Night...

seabexlose
on 4/7/16 11:46 am
VSG on 04/12/16 with

I have to say, overall following my surgeon's pre-op diet has not been bad at all.  There have been times I have been craving other food, certainly, but that has been manageable.  I have also been able to stay ahead of the hunger with my protein shakes, drinking a ton of water/crystal light and choosing low-carb options for my frozen dinners at night.

Last night was rough though, like got overwhelmingly hungry and lightheaded even. I think I let myself get too hungry in between shakes and meals, because even after I ate my dinner (very slowly and chewing everything a lot), I was still famished. I ended up buying some carrots and celery from the cafeteria, which is allowable according to my nutritionist on occasion.  I just could not get past being starving and feeling a little lightheaded.  Better today though.

I work evening shifts at a hospital, so I start at 4 and end at 12:30 AM. I usually try to save my 2 snack shakes and my dinner for while I'm at work and drink usually 2 Nalgenes full of water or very diluted crystal light. Any tips on how to avoid this again or do I just white-knuckle through it?

Kris R.
on 4/7/16 11:58 am - Walworth, NY

It sounds like you got through it perfectly.  Nice job!!! Going forward, think about what else was different about yesterday/last night?  Did you get enough sleep during the day, did you walk extra?  are you pms'ing?  all of those lead to hunger or what we think is hunger.  Hang in there - the carrots and celery held off the munchies..  You're on your way!!

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

seabexlose
on 4/7/16 1:03 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

Yeah, maybe a little sleep deprived.  On day 10 today of the diet. Almost there!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/7/16 5:52 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Well, it's certainly nice to hear someone who doesn't define the preop diet as "torture."  Thank you for being mindful 

Is broth acceptable on your preop diet list?  I found that drinking something warm and savory tended to take the edge off.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

seabexlose
on 4/7/16 8:30 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

Yeah, I have done juice fasts before and made it longer than two weeks.  Still certainly wouldn't qualify it as "torture" but its harder than this! It's amazing what drinking tons of water and a cup of tea every now and again can do to minimize the hunger pangs.  If only I could remember that in my day-to-day life, I probably wouldn't be MO.

They are pretty rigid on the plan, like no jello, no broth, BUT I did finally get my Unjury sampler package in the mail today and will probably swap out my nighttime shake for the chicken soup packet.  Warm and savory sounds very good after all these sweet shakes. I never thought I'd see the day when I'm kind of over sweet stuff.

Most Active
Recent Topics