protein question

MyJourney2015
on 4/7/16 11:40 am

Hi, I was just wondering why following a high protein diet is so important after vsg.  I can find a lot of info on how much you need but not why.  Any ideas would greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Bufflehead
on 4/7/16 11:56 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Initially it's important because your body needs protein for healing after surgery. As time progresses, you don't need it for healing, but most people find a high-protein diet is much more satisfying and helps curb carb cravings much better than a high-carb diet. High protein, high density foods stay in your stomach longer than high carb foods do, helping you to feel full longer. High levels of carb intake, for most people, will drive head hunger and regular hunger in a way that high protein (and high fat) foods do not. So, eating a protein-focused diet is likely, for most people, to lead to greater success with weight loss and maintaining weight loss.

http://www.bistromd.com/health-tips/curb-your-appetite-by-av oiding-foods-that-make-you-hungrier

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20030509/why-do-high-protein-diets -work

MyJourney2015
on 4/7/16 12:45 pm

Thank you both for your response.  I've been looking into a plant based diet and wasn't sure if I lowered my proteins some if it would harm me.  I do have some concerns about the plant based diets and if I would be satisfied like I am today.  I can only find one dr, Garth Davies, that follows this plan.  Decisions decisions  lol  thanks again ladies.

hollykim
on 4/7/16 12:03 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 7, 2016 at 6:40 PM Pacific Time, MyJourney2015 wrote:

Hi, I was just wondering why following a high protein diet is so important after vsg.  I can find a lot of info on how much you need but not why.  Any ideas would greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

the body has to have protein to function. If it doesn't get it thru diet,the body will start breaking down our muscles and organs, which convert easily to protein , and using that.

mmsmom
on 4/7/16 12:37 pm - Woburn, MA

different people need different amounts - I have never been able to get in more than 60 grams a day - and my nutritionist says it's enough for me - I am also only 5' tall 

VSG on 04/28/2014

MyJourney2015
on 4/7/16 12:47 pm

Are you able to get in many veggies, do you eat fruit too?  Thank you for your response.

Renren
on 4/8/16 11:33 am
VSG on 12/02/15

I was told that besides keeping you full longer, protein helps you keep more muscle. Since muscle burns fat, it can make maintainance easier. 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Most Active
Recent Topics