Asian Inspired Chicken Noodle Soup (low carb) 175 calories, under 10 carb, 19g protein (IP...

happyteacher
on 4/6/16 11:37 am

Hello,

In my quest to use new ingredients I think I found a winner that ya'll might be interested in. It is Japan Gold Shiratake Noodles that are dried. If prepared per package instructions there is onl 35 calories for far more than what we would eat, and 11 carbs. I used these for the first time in an Asian inspired Chicken Noodle Soup recipe, and it was absolutely fantastic, super easy, and had great stats and packs a hefty nutrional whallop. For those who are interested please be warned that I did not measure and these are estimates. I would encourage you to add a little, taste, and adjust prior to servings. On a final note, the noodles were better added in right before eating the soup. The ones that were in there when I went back from more got a bit gelatenous- not terrible, but not as good as when it was freshly added. These noodles don't have that wicked smell of the pouches you buy in the produce department, and they are shelf stable. I bought the case, and in the case are packages with each package having 3 birds nests. Our portion size would be 1 nest or less for the smaller sleeved folks. I think these would work Ok for the skinny girlfredo recipe too. They will be a new staple in my house. Enjoy!

8 ounces Rotissier chicken, small chunks

3 baby bok choy, chopped (Trader Joe pack)

1 shredded carrot

32 ounces chicken stock (Homemade in the IP using the rotissiere chicken, enough stock for 2 batches of this soup)

1 tbsn harissa paste (chili /tomatoe paste)

1 tbsn fish sauce (Trader Joes, can substitute Worcestersire sauce)

2 tbsn rice vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

2 birds nests of the Shirataki noodles

Toss ingredients in the Instant Pot and high pressure 3 minutes. Quick release. While that is cooking, put the noodle nests into hot simmering water for 5 minutes, drain and rinse. Once IP is done, add to soup just prior to serving. Makes a super generouse 4 servings. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

alouisa63
on 4/6/16 12:22 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Where did you get the noodles, TJ's?

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

happyteacher
on 4/6/16 12:58 pm

Amazon. Unfortunately, I just noticed the case is out of stock. You can buy a single pack for a bit over $7, and there is a 20% coupon. Pricey though for what you would get, but on the other hand if you end up not likijng it at least you didn't shell out $25 for the case. I hotlinked it in my post.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

michellemj
on 4/6/16 4:07 pm

Looks great.

One question tho: are those noodles fishy/slimey once you rehydrate like the ones you can buy in the fridge section at the grocery?

happyteacher
on 4/6/16 5:09 pm

They are much better. There is zero fishy nasty smell. They did get slightly slimey after sitting in the soup for some time, but my first bowl that had them freshy put in had a substantially improved texture compared to the fishy slimy texture you are referring to. You might want to buy just the single packet though, as I am fairly tolerent and if you can't stand them then it was so much of a financial investment. 

michellemj
on 4/7/16 5:10 am

I didn't mind the packaged ones, but you just had to rinse them for days. ;)

but these look good. I'm trying to get the Fiance to join me on LCHF eating style and this may help.

happyteacher
on 4/7/16 5:48 am

Oh, ok- then it sounds like we are pretty similar. During my weight loss phase when I just "had to have" some pasta I always used Miracle noodles. Like you mentioned, loads of rinsng and then patting them with paper towel to ensure they were positively dry. Even my husband would eat the Girlfredo recipe if he was trying to lose weight. These are far and away better though. So, I think in your case you would probably like them. At least with my soup yesterday I am pretty sure my husband would not have realized they were a form of this type of noodle... after sitting in the soup for a while possibly. I suspect since these are dried it has a lot to do with losing the slime. I also wonder if I rehydrate them in chicken broth if that might infuse more flavor, but I will play with them more. I just really love that the little bird nest things are so nicely protioned for use!

Kathy A.
on 4/8/16 8:59 pm, edited 4/8/16 2:20 pm - Newbury Park, CA

Can't believe you posted this, just tonite I've been looking for chicken noodle soup recipes. I want to make chicken zoodle soup. These elements you've listed for flavorings are just the ticket!  TY

ETA: now enjoying the best bowl of chicken zoodle soup ever. At nearly six years out I'm just now able to accommodate liquids and solids at the same time (no gurgling or burping), so soups are back on the menu. All the other recipes looked so bland! But your additions gave me great ideas. And of course I added white wine too. Yum!

happyteacher
on 4/10/16 7:44 pm

Well DUH, it never occurred to me to use zoodles! I love them too- I for sure am going to zoodle up some soup! 

Most Active
Recent Topics