8 days post op - Can't handle sweet

cupofjavaVSG
on 4/6/16 11:06 am

I literally can not get my protein in. Everything tastes sweet and it makes me want to gag. I went and bought the isopure drinks in place of shakes and I'm sick to my stomach at the thought of all this. I was doing so good in the beginning and now anything sweet gives me a total aversion. Anyone else have this!? How can I survive and get protein without it being sweet? I used to love sweet. Has my taste buds changed? Has anyone else not been able to eat sweet?

hollykim
on 4/6/16 11:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 6, 2016 at 6:06 PM Pacific Time, cupofjavaVSG wrote:

I literally can not get my protein in. Everything tastes sweet and it makes me want to gag. I went and bought the isopure drinks in place of shakes and I'm sick to my stomach at the thought of all this. I was doing so good in the beginning and now anything sweet gives me a total aversion. Anyone else have this!? How can I survive and get protein without it being sweet? I used to love sweet. Has my taste buds changed? Has anyone else not been able to eat sweet?

it is common. You will survive from your body burning fat for energy. That is what it was stored for. 

Many ppl use Unjury chicken broth. Many ppl add unflavored protein powder to broth. 

alouisa63
on 4/6/16 11:34 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

8 months out and I still don't like sweet things.  I would add unsweetened cocoa to my chocolate shakes to make them less sweet and use unflavored protein in soup or refried beans to get in the required amount.  Decaf coffee in my chocolate shake also helped kill the sweet.  All I can suggest is keep trying different things.  Sooner or later you will hit on something you can tolerate :(

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

heidikat72
on 4/6/16 11:34 am - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

Perhaps pick up some unflavored protein powder and mix it with some broth for a more savory taste? Just make sure the broth isn't too hot (should be below 140 degrees) or the protein powder will clump and be gross. I have definitely read where others indicated the shakes they tried pre-op and liked, they couldn't tolerate post-op because it was just too sweet.

happyteacher
on 4/6/16 11:41 am

I remember prior to surgery people saying this could happen, and frankly didn't believe them. Then I was sleeved. Holy heck. Now, looking back I should have heeded gthe advice of the vets and not reintroduced sugar back in as I had completely kicked it by the end of 4 weeks. I know that is not helpful for you now, but stash that in the back of your brain. Try the high protein clream of chicken soup- that got me along with plain fat free greek yogurt. I added in sf Torani syrup, but you can control the sweet at least by doing that. I used to put protein powder in my coffee as well to help mask it. Good luck!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

cupofjavaVSG
on 4/8/16 9:25 pm

Where can I get the soup? Which brand?

emelar
on 4/6/16 11:57 am - TX

Unjury chicken soup protein powder.  Mix it in some regular chicken broth.

Or, if you're not lactose intolerant, just drink some skim milk!

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/6/16 5:22 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Feel you, I too could t take sweet. Get unflavored powder and put it in broth of your choosing.  Put it in milk, soy or almond milk. The unflavored saved me it'll probably help you too :-)

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Kris R.
on 4/7/16 6:06 am - Walworth, NY

Same thing happened to me, I switched to the Slimfast High Protein - 1g sugar - Vanilla - room temperature - and it isn't as sweet.  I also couldn't stand salty things, so the broth was horrid.  Stick with it.. You've got this.

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

P goode
on 4/11/16 6:26 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 05/11/16

Sweets are my enemy- I hope this happens! It would be good for me at least in the long run. I will find out in May!

Done! Your Ticker:

"Long ago in a galaxy far away"- WT-325. Lap band WT-287. Sleeve WT- 220, SW- 215, CW-144

Most Active
Recent Topics