18 months out and havent lost 50 pounds

mizz203
on 4/5/16 7:55 pm - BRIDGEPORT, CT

I had lapband in 2004.....worked well until 2013......had to have it removed. Had the sleeve 10/2014.....here I am 18 months later and havent lost 50 pounds! I have no restriction....went to another dr for a second opinion last week. Had a upper GI today.....really sad...

Jevelynne
on 4/5/16 9:09 pm
VSG on 10/26/15

Being that I am so close to post-op yet (5 months) I know that I may not have a lot of real information to give you but maybe seeing things from a different perspective might shed some light.

When you went in for your routine check-UPS did they say there looked to be any issues with why you were not losing the weight?

Have you maybe already lost most of your "excess" weight and bow just need to work on toning or tightening? Did during this time you continue to lose inches even if not pounds? Have you changed up your routine? Either with food or workouts? If you have started eating different it could effect your loss, if you haven't adjusted your workouts it is possible that your body has just become too accustomed to what you are doing. Shake it up, do more intensity, do a different grade of walking path to work different muscle groups. No matter what, know that any bit lost is in the right direction to making a healthier you!

HW: 299   SW: 277.2   VSG: 10-26-2015  Dr. Brian Gluck
Dr Goal Weight : 182.5 Hit Dr Goal 7-23-16
New Goal Weight: 170

ladygodiva1228
on 4/6/16 5:06 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On April 6, 2016 at 2:55 AM Pacific Time, mizz203 wrote:

I had lapband in 2004.....worked well until 2013......had to have it removed. Had the sleeve 10/2014.....here I am 18 months later and havent lost 50 pounds! I have no restriction....went to another dr for a second opinion last week. Had a upper GI today.....really sad...

What was your starting weight when you had the sleeve done?  How much weight do you need to lose?

What does your daily menu look like?  How much water are you getting in?

Are you measuring/weighing/tracking what you eat each day?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/6/16 5:51 am

Sorry to hear that... But how is your diet? Are you measuring and journaling? 

I had RNY and I have great restriction ...but only when I follow a very strict low carb diet. No starches, grains, limted fruits, no slider foods. 

When I don't follow that diet -and do eat more carbs - it seems I have no retriction...I can eat and eat and eat and not feel full. 

Some of this may be due to too much insulin, that not only makes me gain weight, but as some explain that to me - effects the nerves in my gut and makes them less sensitive to full signals... 

Thats why proper diet - or you can call it WOE - way of eating, is so critical post op any WLS. 

It also may be that your stomach nerves were damaged by the band or even during the revision surgery. With damage nerves - you may not feel fulness. 

That's why getting "virgin" WLS surgery can have better outcome.   

Long term - proper diet plus some movement - exercise is a key to lose and maintain. 

Exercise makes us feel better (at least it is suppose to) and helps maintain muscle mass... Diet is what makes us lose weight... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 4/6/16 8:38 am - Warren, OH

I lose a pound a week when I stay below 900 calories a day.  Your surgery will only help you to stay low calorie.  It won't stop you from eating too much or the wrong foods.  It won't cause weight loss.  

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

cappy11448
on 4/6/16 10:07 am

Are you eating dense protein first?  and avoiding liquids with and after your meals?  You need to eat dense proteins to close the pyloric valve in order to feel the restriction.  If you eat junk food, or other soft foods, they can travel right thru your stomach into your intestines with little processing. 

I hope this is a clue for you.  Otherwise, I don't know what could be going on.

Best of luck with your weight loss journey.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics