Where did Kelly M go? Icon was girl with pink hair

happyteacher
on 4/5/16 6:25 am

I get what you are saying. I think of it more as "reframing" than "redirecting". For your sister, it must feel a little overwhelming to need to lose so much, and in comparison it is simply far more than what you need to lose. However, when you are looking at two morbidly obese people both share the same battle irregardless of the number of pounds that need to come off. So reframe to what the situation has in common and not divide based on perceived hardship. I get it though. I remember feeling like 150 was pretty overwhelming for me at first, so when I looked at the lightweights initially who had maybe 90 pounds to go I do remember thinking that I would have been estatic if I only had 90 to go. It wasn't to diminish what they needed to fight through, but rather to acknowledge that I was just in a dark place and had  a lot of work to do. I also didn't realize in those very early days that many of our lightweight friends here are slow losers compared to heavy weights. If I had been a slow loser then for me personally at least I feel like the journey would have been much more difficult for me given how my brain is hardwired for speed in just about every area of my life. Support is critical and we all have our own personal sticking points that we must face as we work through this (or maintain). 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/5/16 12:27 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I like reframing that's a good word and I think represents more what I was trying to say.  I'm happy for my sister though she's completed her WLS and should be heading home today.  I know she'll have her own ups and downs but I will too.  I am hopeful this tool with help her.  So far mine is working for me and I keep passing along any tips I can think of.  Being the older sister I feel like it's my job to go first and spread the knowledge :-)

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/5/16 1:26 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

A poster who basically says "people who aren't in my situation should quit whining or go away" isn't worthy of "understanding," in my book.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

happyteacher
on 4/5/16 5:06 pm

I can't remember her other posts, but if she was one that was battling depression I think that illness by default tends to skew perception. I don't know, I guess I have a bleeding heart. I don't think her intent was to stir the pot so to speak, and she seemed like she would have really benefitted from the support here. She did need someone to help her see a wider perspective, and I do think that when our perspectives widen it helps in the journey to stay on track. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Grim_Traveller
on 4/6/16 4:31 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On April 5, 2016 at 8:26 PM Pacific Time, Sparklekitty (Julie), Glittery Hag Princess wrote:

A poster who basically says "people who aren't in my situation should quit whining or go away" isn't worthy of "understanding," in my book.

I was fatter than all of you. I think everyone else should leave my website now.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics