Secret Ingredients (main idea) wiith a smidge about the Instant Pot for those who...

happyteacher
on 4/3/16 2:39 pm

I am once again becoming a bit bored with my meals, mostly because recently cooking has not been an option so I rely on what others are willing to prep or microwave a previously frozen version of my regular stuff. Decided that I was going to try a new "secret ingredient" once every couple of weeks to change things up. Mind you, I am a self-proclaimed non cook. Sure, I can put a meal on the table for my family, but the clever nuances of eloquenty balancing spices and textures is well beyond my skill level. So this is both a challenge and a way to kick-start some novelty in my diet. My first attempt- something called "harissa". It is a Tunesian (according to the Internet and you know everything you read online is true, right?) tomatoe paste stuff that has chilis as part of the base and a lot of seasoning like coriander, garlic and others that I just forgot. You squirt it out of a tube, and you can put the lid back on and pop it in the refridgerator. It seemed perfect- a little sploosh of flavor that already had seasonings balanced. I ended up also buying a dry spice (powder) version too- no clue how it is different yet, as I didn't read the ingredient list. Anyway, I had a hankering for Karik's gousash soup, but am not quite well enough to properlly brown the meat and such. My solution- use my mystery ingredient and simplify his recipe. It actually didn't turn out anything like this goulash soup.

How about you- do you have a favorite mystery ingredient you could suggest or perhaps are just curious about? The soup by the way turned out fantastic, but caution- this Harissa stuff is SPICY. I love me some heat, but for those with gentler palates a little goes a looooong way! Here is my non-recipe for what I made with the IP for those that "use". You can easily decarb this for our low carb friends:

1 pound frozen ground beef (unable to properly thaw and brown, so I just through the whole chunk in my Instant Pot pressure cooker)

6ish cups water

6ish beef bouillon cubes

Several plops of paprika- maybe 2 tablespoons or so??

Several dashes worcestershire sauce, maybe 2 tsp or so? (Hey, did you know this stuff has fish in it????)

A quick pour of white vinegar, tried to estimate the same amount as the worcestershire sauce

A handful of whole wheat penne noodles (normally would dice potatoe, but too restricted with my arms at the moment)

Harissa- I just squirted thsi stuff so I am really guessing on the amount, but about 2 tbsn or so??? Did NOT seem like a lot for a big pot of soup!

Chili Sauce- has about a third of a bottle kicking around in the fridge that needed to be used

flour/water roux that was added to thicken just a bit after it was cooked. 

1 bag frozen moire poi (spelling is just wrong, but diced onions and two other ingredients- not sure if it was peppers and celery or carrot)

For the IP users: hit the soup button. Quick release. Used a potatoe masher to break up the beef. Put it on sautee, added the roux. Adjusted with salt and pepper. 

It was full-bodied and quite an interesting soup- I would make it again if I can ever remember what I did and the amounts :) 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

michellemj
on 4/4/16 8:27 am

I went through a phase were I was addicted to Thai Red Curry paste, but not the Thai Kitchen brand as it has ZERO flavor...I prefer Mae Ploy. I would make a curry of sorts with meat (chicken or chicken sausage), cabbage/kale, red/green peppers, curry paste and coconut milk. NOM.

happyteacher
on 4/4/16 8:44 am

I will have to try that brand. I once bought a case of the Thai kitchen stuff by mistake online- tossed most of it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics