Sparkling Water?????

eskienut
on 4/1/16 4:31 pm, edited 4/1/16 6:57 pm
VSG on 02/24/16

Hi all,

I am confused about why my new do's and don't list from my NUT is saying sparkling water is ok? I thought no carbination ever was a rule?

Thanks in advance

A~

53 years old   5.4   HW 265 SW 248 CW 218

Surgery 2/24/2015 at UVA with Dr. Hallowell.

luvmypuggies
on 4/1/16 4:46 pm

I was told to avoid carbonated drinks pretty much forever, but especially for the first few months.  I've had a little bit here and there (after a year or so), and it makes me burp like crazy, so it's not my favorite thing to drink.  Stick to plain water if you can.

There is probably a good medical reason to avoid bubbles, but if nothing else it's a good way to keep people from slipping back into the diet soda habit. :)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/1/16 4:48 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I would avoid it early out after surgery.

I specifically asked my surgeon about carbonated beverages.  He said that they will not stretch your sleeve.  The problem is that they are a trigger for many people.  And some people's sleeves do not like carbonation.

I drink a Coke Zero every couple of days, but I didn't try them until I was a year past surgery.  This is only my experience.  YMMV.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Maria27
on 4/1/16 5:12 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

A lot of surgeons still have that rule, but there is little research to support it. Further, most literature treats carbonated beverages and soda as one in the same, but with the rising popularity of sparking water, this is starting to make little sense. No more soda ever, including diet, is good advice do to risk of regain, but there really isn't a good reason to avoid sparkling water once you are completely healed unless it bothers you. Some surgeons have started recommending avoiding all carbonation for only the  first six months following surgery, and I suspect more will do so in the future. Personally, I decided to wait six months, but now I drink sparkling water with no trouble. It only bothers me if I drink it too soon after eating, and by too soon I mean more than 1/2 hour after eating but less than an hour or so.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

eskienut
on 4/1/16 6:56 pm, edited 4/1/16 11:56 am
VSG on 02/24/16

I too thought I was told to stay away, so understand my confusion when it lists sparkling water as a fluid option. I am not a soda drinker, so it would not be any trigger for me. I am struggling with beverage intake as most artificial sweeteners make me nauseous and plain water is a struggle for me...I will call my NUT that gave me the new list and ask her about it. I NEED to find something refreshing soon. Thanks for all the responses.

53 years old   5.4   HW 265 SW 248 CW 218

Surgery 2/24/2015 at UVA with Dr. Hallowell.

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/16 7:31 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

My dietician and surgeon allow sparkling water (absolutely no soda not even diet) at no sooner than 4 months out. I usually drink the La Croix brand they are just sparkling water with fruit essence so no calories carbs or sugar. I'd call your surgeon for clarification.

Hislady
on 4/2/16 6:48 pm - Vancouver, WA

I wouldn't advise it this early out because of the gas it causes that can put pressure on your stomach, after a few months it would most likely be ok. Right now I would do flavored waters if you need a change but not the carbonated ones until your tummy is fully healed. If you do use them down the road be sure they are no sugar added because there are some that have almost as many calories as a regular soda. As long as they are zero calorie or close to it they should be ok later on after 4-6 mos.  You can add lemon, lime, cucumber and berries to regular water. Also look on Pinterest or other on line places for recipes for flavored waters for more ideas.

Most Active
Recent Topics