Sleeve vs Bypass

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/2/16 6:42 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Really look into the DS & talk to your surgeon about it. Unless you have severe gerd that's why people revised from vsg to rny, it is a much more complicated procedure.

The DS used to be done in 2 stages, the sleeve was the first stage, the DS the second stage. Some people were able to lose with the sleeve alone & didn't need to progress to the 2nd stage. This is part of the reason why the sleeve is a stand alone procedure now. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Donna L.
on 4/1/16 8:21 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

My BMI/weight pre-op was 77.7/425 pounds, and my current BMI weight is 54.9/300ish (I get weighed Monday).  It took ten months to get there.  The sleeve has worked very well.  I chose the sleeve over bypass for a few reasons.  I didn't like the idea of a blind stomach, and I wanted a permanent procedure.  Yes, the RNY is effectively permanent, too, but in the back of my mind I'd always think it could be "reversed" - that's the funny thing about binge eating disorder.  At any rate, a permanent removal was more appealing for me.  No excuses that way (for me).  I was in very poor health at the time and was concerned about getting the DS without some improvement in my conditions.

As for your surgery getting fixed or a revision, you must consult a surgeon.  No one here can really answer the question...revisions are complex, and you really want the best advice possible in this area, which you aren't likely to get here.  Check big university medical centers known for this (University of Chicago is one).  You will want to find a surgeon very experienced with doing revisions to get a good medical opinion.  Several people here have had them, so you can definitely get some names.

Definitely check the DS as someone already mentioned.  That's the gold standard for the super morbidly obese.  You can also request the surgical report from your original surgeon.  The reasons why they did what they did would be in the report.  As its a copy of your medical records, your are legally entitled to a copy - though you may have to pay for it.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

downhome
on 4/4/16 3:47 pm

I know you are in the Dallas area and several great doctors are there. However,  I went to a surgeon in OKC even though I am much closer to DFW.  The name of the facility is Weight Wise.  The doctors work as a team and are always available.  They have their own hospital and I know they are doing a number of revisions from within this country and from doctors outside.  I know, the doctor you used at one was all over the TV.  it is just a thought and not all that far away.

Most Active
Recent Topics